The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dating
Having a senior moment. Could some kind soul remind me of which publication or website carries lists of A7 crankcase number dating?
I just look through the chassis register noting the gap between engine and chassis numbers which increases as the production run moves forward.
I always use Appendix 1 in Bob Wyatt's Motor for the Million as my first resource.
Thanks both. It is in Wyatt. I'm grateful.
Mark R......."I just look through the chassis register noting the gap between engine and chassis numbers which increases as the production run moves forward."

To be hyper-nit-picking, this isn't completely infallible. My early 1933 RP still has its original engine, as confirmed by its first log book, but the engine number is actually 209 lower than the chassis number.

I assume that my engine had been taken off the line for rectification a couple of weeks earlier and was returned for installation out of sequence. If so, they did a good job, as it now has over a quarter of a million miles behind it.
(11-07-2019, 03:56 PM)Martin Prior Wrote: Mark R......."I just look through the chassis register noting the gap between engine and chassis numbers which increases as the production run moves forward."

To be hyper-nit-picking, this isn't completely infallible.  My early 1933 RP still has its original engine, as confirmed by its first log book, but the engine number is actually 209 lower than the chassis number.

I assume that my engine had been taken off the line for rectification a couple of weeks earlier and was returned for installation out of sequence.  If so, they did a good job, as it now has over a quarter of a million miles behind it.

Martin, that sounds quite plausible. I too have a 1933 RP saloon with matching numbers and my engine number is 563 higher than the chassis number.

I cannot claim your high mileage though. Given the known history of my car, I have reason to believe that the indicated mileage of (currently) 98785 is quite possibly genuine.
For a minute I thought I had strayed onto the wrong Forum  Smile

Just catching up after 8 days offline- with the new wonderful National Broadband Network here in Oz - it only lasted two weeks after 14 years of ISDN through my 40 year old twisted pair copper  telephone line .
After many excuses an  NBN  technician came and found their new black box made in China was faulty  Huh (using the second hand Foxtel cable with fibre and coaxial copper cables.

Gone right off modern technology - this is the third faulty Chinese made item in a month - perhaps they have found another way of getting at the west !