The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The search for oil tightness
Responses to your kind thoughts and helpful comments. Being a Ruby engine it is on rubber mountings. The fuel pump had a thorough overhaul when it was put on to the rebuilt engine and is oil tight, carefully  checked to be as true as possible when offered onto the side of the crankcase and before relying on gasket. The tin tappet cover is certainly not true, but I did not dare try to beat it flat and hoped that the silicone seal would work. I also try not to make things worse by overtightening, so rely on best finger tightness rather than attempt to get stilsons onto the knurled knobs.  As for whether it is dribbling out of the bottom of the valve chest or the block/crankcase joint, that will be a job for tomorrow, in the workshop closely observing. So far it has been a case of setting off with a clean and shiny crankcase and coming back to find oil leakage. So I'll just stand there watching to see whence it emerges. Unless it remains tight on the level and it will only leak coming up a Welsh hill, in which case I'll have to move to Lincolnshire.
Once the engine is hot (and leaking), spray the area with carb/brake cleaner until it is very clean.

With engine still running observe and soon it will become clear which face/s is/are leaking...
Have you thought (and I'm not kidding) of attaching GoPro camera (others are available) and watching a video of the earth's resources leaking back to where they came from? You might want to wrap the camera in cling film....
Does anybody have GoPro footage shot beneath the car while being driven at speed along a bumpy road?
Now spraying until the side of the engine is as clean as a surgeon's workbench is a very good idea. As for the camera, I will ask members of a younger techno-generation whether they have one, indeed as this Sunday's navvy had previously filmed, and put on youtube, the Ruby chasing sheep up Shelsley, maybe he can record what happens under the bonnet.
Steve, before refitting the tin cover, have a good look to make sure the gasket, or sealing strip is standing well proud of the metal all the way round. On mine I found that the gasket wasn't sitting proud along the bottom corner, which meant that the tin was making contact at the joint interface when tightened...
Are you sure the oil is not coming from the oil pump cover disc on the rear nearside of the crankcase?
Charles, you doubt my word? Now you know it was true, happy leak stopping, well hopefully.
All the best.
(18-07-2019, 08:57 AM)Zetomagneto Wrote: Charles, you doubt my word? Now you know it was true, happy leak stopping, well hopefully.
All the best.

As if!
Thanks

C