The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The search for oil tightness
Ordered a silicone gasket from Jamie. Now I must also summon up my courage and attend to tasks indicated from beyond the Antonine Wall, that will be a new and possibly character forming job!
I believe that Bearsden is actually straddling the Antonine Wall Steve.
Ian, I take your word for it. However, North of the Forth and Clyde Canal, and South of the course of the short test track for the Bennie monoplane, a piece of kit that I beleive incorporated no Austin Seven parts. Now if a certain person has his house on one side of the Antonine Wall, and the workshop at the bottom of the garden is on the other side, that would be worthy of note. Perhaps the dozens of Seven owners in the Marches might include one straddling Offa's Dyke.
I can testify to spending my formative years not at all far from the site of the westernmost fort on the Antonine wall (Old Kilpatrick). Unfortunately for those keen on archaeology it's hidden underneath a housing estate and a bus station, and not too far from where the beardie one hangs aboot.
Steve I use the cork strip supplied by cherished suppliers but stick it in in the groove and onto the block with Permatex aviation quality gasket sealant. This sealant is non hardening and easily removed with spirit on a cloth. How it works is that it has a spirit within the sealant that makes it easy to apply. The spirt then evaporates off leaving a non hardening sticky sealant that is good against oil, petrol and water. I have had no leaks in the area for over 4 years.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
I can confirm I am on the correct side of the wall - the Railplane site has very recently been built on, lost forever!
(11-07-2019, 09:44 AM)Rick F Wrote: I have found the new silicone tappet cover seal from Jamie at Seven Workshop is as good as it gets.

I believe Oxfordshire Sevens  produce an alloy tappet cover

How does Jamie's silicon gasket work with the early covers that used flat cork?

Charles
It doesn’t unfortunately - why not make one from a silicone baking sheet?
(12-07-2019, 02:35 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: It doesn’t unfortunately - why not make one from a silicone baking sheet?

I thought not. 
Good idea on the baking sheet. 
I have an alloy cover and I'm experimenting with a slightly softer O ring rubber (Shore 45 vs 70) and will see how that goes

C
I have used a modified RP tappet cover ( new holes drilled, with old ones filled in) on my Chummy-based special, fitted with a silicone gasket. It works well.
Rick

In deepest Norfolk