The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil filler neck
Not what I wanted to read as I settle down for the evening.... but thanks, Simon. To be honest I think I'm in the clear. There was very little debris, ie. virtually nothing, and the studs seemed fine, so I'll put it back together tomorrow.

That being said I have now just incurred the wrath of the old car gods, who will conspire against be overnight to make it a complete can of worms by then...
Blowback may be due to over filling.   The level in the top tank always settles down a lot lower than I think it is.

About half an inch or so above the core.

So I always over fill, and lose a bit first time out.

Is your timing right?

Brake binding?

Hoses good?   Old ones can collapse internally.

Over 35 degrees I would have the bonnet off or open, anyway.

Can the hot air escape from the engine compartment?
Side water inlets can become hideously blocked with crud leading to very serious overheating, on a car I did not know it would be one of the first things I would check to ensure its clear.
Black Art Enthusiast
Flexible curtain rod, the stuff Beloved uses for hanging lace curtains and a battery drill are very handy things for cleaning out passages in blocks, heads, manifolds etc. You could use a bit of old bicycle brake cable outer coiled cable if you stripped the plastic off. I ground the end smooth on a grindstone so it had no sharp buts to hook on anything going into corners

Take a bit of time to inveigle (now there's a big sticky word like marmalade) the springy coiled wire around obstacles inside blocks etc, but is well worth it - NOT for radiator tanks as the rotating whipping of the flexible rod will bend the ends of the tubes closed.

Use in combination with a compressor & air gun and you will be quite surprised what is lurking in a seemingly clean block

Aye
Greig