The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RN saloon windscreen seal
Hi Dave
Thanks for the lathe photo. With the raised ways it looks very American for the time.
Large old lathes have limited appeal but it is incredible that one like yours would be scrapped. Did it come with a topslide? (Which can live without) I don’t know how those without lathes achieve much. Many relatively inexpensive light lathes are now available but they have a lot of special belts, nylon gears, special motors etc and often limited gear range. I have many Model Engineer books from the late 1920s. Small bench lathes without chucks, motor and accessories cost about a tradesman’s fortnight wage!
When I recovered it, it had no top slide, motor or chucks. The guy that helped me heave it out of the skip was the works foreman and said it was a pile of scrap. That was in 1986 and I'd be lost without it. 
Have you got that seal out of the screen frame yet Biddlecombe? I've just extracted a a hardened seal from a frame with two passes of a knife to cut the middle free then pick the outer edges out.
I have at last got around to removing the screen from my RN and started digging out the remains of the "obviously" cut back seal. However the profile of the slot it is not the same as Dave Mann's pictures, so can anyone tell me if this a RN screen frame and which of the Seven Workshop profiles would fit in the slot?

its certainly different to the new frame he made for me.

It looks to me like that should use something with a profile something between a U and an L
I think that you will find that it is the same profile as my photo when all the age hardened rubber seal has been dug out.

Hi Dave, Thanks for that. I have been talking to Martin Prior who thinks that maybe 25% RN's are like mine. I have dug all the aged hardened rubber and now have a clear profile which I have attached. Your thoughts are very much appreciated.
Peter
Your frame is like the RM and early RN frame, I'll have to have a look in the store and see if I have one to photograph.
    The black one is an RM early RN windscreen hinge, the steel and brass one is the later RN frame.
Thanks Dave, I have the early for sure. Are you aware of 2 thin strips of wood between the hinge and the inside of the roof overhang? Mine has these strips with one covered with waterproof strip. They are clearly original as they have paint on them from the original paint colour. Also do you have the top section for sale? Further are you sure of the profile for the rubber seal around the frame? Jamie is sendinding me samples but I don't have a clue how they will fit.
Peter