The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sliding roof.
That felt looks like the soundproofing felt I bought at Beaulieu last year.

Mine is thicker but I expect it could be split.

I could sent you an offcut to play with if you like.
Thanks Simon, sent you a PM.
Peter
Brilliant pictures of the roof timbers Martin.

Now that your beautifully made woodwork has arrived today, I'll have some idea how it all goes together! Smile
Thanks, Ivor!
Try this link:

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/409827634810421462/

Hope that might work, I do not seem to have the image on my pc, it is out there on the internet in several different places, hope you can see it!

on my car it was actually leather!

I did experiment using nylon (which Britax Weathershields used on the fabric sunroofs from the 1960's to 1980's) on a spare sunroof panel I had at the time, this did not work as well as I hoped as it did not run smoothly over its route - the nylon is not very forgiving with an uneven track.

I tried leather, but this did not work and I did find glueing was not a serviceable option on its own and fitting rivets meant that the rivet became the slider, needs to be well fixed so it is buried in the material.

From memory, the leather was not really thick enough.

In the end, the spare sunroof panel (which I thought was original to my car, wasn't, it was too short, so sold it on) and the actual original sunroof panel (which was not in such as good as condition as the spare, which is why I used it on the first attempt) had its original sliders, but these were worn, left these in place for the sunroof that is now on the car and works ok, only trouble is that it is that is rattles... A wedge has sorted that out...
Thats one of the disadvantages of the internet whilst finding a store on the internet then visiting it you can actually see what they are selling.
Returning to the felt pads. I have sourced (scrounged) as a sample some 3mm felt, correct woollen felt is reccommended. I drilled out the rivets finding that they were modern snap rivets, so bought new snap rivets and a set tool. After making new felt pads and piercing the 6 holes where required I superglued a snap rivet base through the felt so that it didn't fallen out when slipped under the bracket. Using a suitable thickness and length of steel, abot 6 ins long and 1/4 to 5/8 thick to slip under the felt/rivets for use as an anvil and to help push the rivet base up through the holes in the bracket pull the felt over the top of the bracket and slip the remaining 3 holes in the felt over the protruding rivets, fix the rivet tops over the studs and use set tool to snap the rivets together. I find that with the correct size rivet this squeezes the felt and the studs sink slightly into the felt. Use only Vaseline to lubricate the pads not forgetting the inside of the bracket as this is where it slides in the roof channels. The only thing I would try if I ever do it again is to use 4mm felt not 3 mm.

.jpg   20190721_104553[1].jpg (Size: 194.57 KB / Downloads: 177)
Finished pad.

.jpg   20190721_104600[1].jpg (Size: 218.49 KB / Downloads: 177)
Drift to use as anvil, set tool, and felt piercing tool with rivets.

Drawing of felt.

Attached Files
.jpg   20190721_104605[1].jpg (Size: 190.53 KB / Downloads: 165)
Brought to top with updated drawing.