The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sliding roof.
I tried piggybacking a previous thread but surprised by no responses, being as I know how you guys are so good I thought maybe I could try a new thread. Apologies if this is not etiquette....................
Hi RN'ers and all,
My RN is in need of removing sliding roof and deep cleaning so that it slides easier and I can repair a small cloth tear on the inside. Where do I start after removing the chrome lock please? What is the removal process? What are the main things to be that extra bit careful with?
Thanks in anticipation.
Peter
        Remove the centre pull handle secured by two 3/16" BSF screws and the lock plate secured by three 3/16" BSF screws. Then remove the fabric covered pull channel (if fitted) and finally remove the roof stops, outside at the ends of the guides which again are secured by  two 3/16" BSF screws. Then it should slide out making sure it comes out square with both sides coming out together.
Thanks Dave, Much appreciated.
Peter
Detail drawing is very useful.
Any idea on how close the Ruby is to the RN roof ?
Regards
Tim
Tiger - A completely different design of sun roof was introduced with the RP and, with changes of dimensions, carried through to the Ruby. If you need any more info, please PM me.
        The RN sun roof is like the RM which sits in the roof opening requiring various drains to collect and drain the water away each side of the windscreen, this is the design's failings because they get blocked with leaves and rust away. The later RP sunroof sat over the roof opening and didn't require the drains and I think the Ruby was similar. Phil Baildon did drawings of the RN and RP sun roofs many years ago and can be found in the source book. Attached are his other RN sun roof drawings.
Here is a sketch I made of the fitting of the Pytchley sunroof into the body - Mk I Ruby - mine had not been disturbed since leaving the factory when I took it apart.

https://oi453.photobucket.com/albums/qq2...NY0006.jpg
Dave, Thanks a million. That is so very helpful
Regards
Peter
Any detail of the Ruby roof would be very welcome.
I have successfully removed the sliding roof, many thanks Dave for your invaluable drawings and I am now having to repair a few bits. I have identified 4 sliders, 2 per side, but hey do not seem much like the details in the drawings. They are steel and fixed firmly but are covered in a thick felt like material that is rivetted with 3 copper rivets to fix it to the metal sliders. I am guessing that I will have to drill out the rivets and obtain some similar material, but fixing back the rivets with the roof covering still on seems a bit above my pay grade! Can anyone please suggest a suitable fixing method.