The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hub 'cap' removal
I'm about to have the wheels on the Cabriolet refurbished and need to remove the 'hub caps' prior to the work being carried out. This is for the later style Ruby wheels. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions as to how this can be done easily before I start bashing away with a bloody great hammer? Advice on how to refit afterwards would be equally well received!!

cheers...

Hugh
I had some success levering back the lip on the inside and then using a large socket placed in the center, before thumping the life out of it. Or use a press.
I use a grinding wheel from one of those sets you can buy - 6 or so different shapes - from diy chains.

I can't remember which shape.

Put in a battery electric drill.   With the right profile grinder, you can take off most of the corner on the bend of a bent down lug.

Do two adjacent, and tap out with a wooden drift.

This leaves two lugs intact, so scope for replacement using the two originals and a third new one.

Simon
I found it impossible to get them completely tight when re-fitting but a squirt of sealant under the flange stops them jangling.

Peter.
Thanks chaps, some good ideas there...
I used a suitable chunk of hardwood I had lying around. I rounded the end a bit on the big sanding disc & then after prying back the hubcap tabs with a large tyre lever, inserted the length of Meranti & walloped the other end with a large hammer until the hubcap popped off. I propped the rim between 2 large chunks of wood to keep the hubcap off the ground & to catch the cap I did the job over an old bit of carpet.

Aye
Greig
As a follow up, I found this much easier than I expected. The 'flange; material appears to be soft brass and easing it back with a tyre lever was a simple affair. I was expecting a much tougher material so was delighted when they just popped out with little effort. This is for the later Ruby style caps, of course, earlier ones may be different ...
Yes indeed, the earlier ones are either ali (easy) or stainless (horribly tough!)

Peter.