The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
More storage restoration
Great job Tony, but that rear axle is a real ankle basher, I'm sure you can find a better stowage.
Hi dave,

You are right. On both accounts.

Storing rear axles is always a problem.

I need what I feel is a temporary fix.

So I've installed the tyre stand for now as an axle stand.

I rearly get the chance to buy quality old parts nowadays, so when this stores is finished. I'll do condition checks on the axles I have and list them on our website. As they run out of stock. I can remove the trye stand.

Tony.
Hi Tony,
Thanks for the doors info - they have quite a selection.
Will post some photos when I’ve made some progress ?
That's looking great Tony. I know what you mean about brickwork, I just rebuilt the back wall of my lean-to shed so I'd have a space I could heat in the winter. It was all done with reclaimed victorian bricks rescued from various skips around the neighbourhood. I got lucky as they're converting the chip shop around the corner and 2/3 of them came from there. All I can say is I have a new found respect for bricklayers - what a job! But I'm leaving them all exposed so I can admire my handiwork.
i dont mind the white paint look, and it would reflect the light well.

but im in a simular position to you chris.

all my bricks came from the old cattle market in leicester.

when they knocked it down, all the bricks were just being crushed for hardcore.

i got permision to spend a day on site with 4 people helping me to fill a 7 1/2 ton lorry i had rented.

i had a total of 4,500 bricks, and it took me 3 months and alot of blisters. chipping of all the old cement. 

i did pay a local bricklayer to lay the bricks, at a cost of £1,000 in 1997 i think?

after all that hard work, it would kill me to paint them.

tony
Wow, I bet you're proud of that job Tony. My little job was a mere 300 or so bricks, so I take my hat off to you!
Yes, reclaiming the old bricks was the hardest part - there's only so many times you can wallop your hand with a 2.5lb hammer without yelping.
hi chris,

like many things ive done in my time, it was because i couldnt afford to pay a builder to do everything properly.

i think the original quotes came in from two local builders, both wanting £10k at the time.

the barn is 36ft by 12ft. to stay inside building regs.

so i done the footings myself, and the floor.

i paid the builder £1k to lay the bricks. (which i cleaned). yes hands were raw and blistered.

the roof trusses are pre-made.

i fitted them.

the roof is all reclaimed from a local barn in lubenham, leics.  that was being converted to a house.

i also hand made the doors, probably why they rotted away?

i put the electrics in, but its only a simple ring main for plugs. a professional checked it and fitted the fuse box

total cost of build £3k. inc all parts and labour.

and yes im very proud of the building, even though its only a barn. and most people built lovely houses. buy im no builder.

thanks tony

ps, i found it easier to us an axe instead of a hammer to get the cement off. and i amazingly still have all my fingers in tact. if you layed your 300 bricks yourself, and they look good. well done, reclaimed victorian bricks are all uneven and hard to make look good.

tony
All the trays and shelves are now in.

But I will have to remove the wheel stand in the future. As it takes up to much space.

Pics below, from the door clockwise again.[attachment=8549]

[attachment=8550]

[attachment=8551]

[attachment=8552]

[attachment=8553]

[attachment=8554]

There are alot of untidy boxes I'm tidying. And alot will not be replaced.

It's amazing how much space the new parts take up, most of the shelves are already full. And I think have plenty in the old shed, before I start on the old stuff.

Tony.
Very impressive classification and stacking!
Another 20 hours this week, and I don't mind saying a few late nights. And I'm about there.

Everything has been moved over to new storage boxes. So I can now see what needs to be sold out, without replacing.

There are a number of trays of mixed up items to sort.

Just a connecting door to make and lights to be fitted.

Check older pic, and this is the new tidy storage.

[attachment=8575]

In the 20 hours put in this week.

And I was left with alot of mess from moving things over.

Mess left below.

[attachment=8576]

I've had the chance to tidy up the old shed.

And it now looks like this.

I have plans for it? Maybe a new thread next week.

[attachment=8577]

Just the other end of the shed to empty and sell now.

[attachment=8578]