The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Axle stands
What do people think about the modern type of ratchet axle stands? 

All my old axle stands are the through pin type, and I wouldn't feel happy to be under a car without a pin through.

But maybe I am just out-of-date?
No, I don't think you are.
Alan Fairless
I have pin through ones but would like ratchet type. In an unexpected collapse a pin is easily sheared whereas the step of a rachet is likely to be more reliable...
https://www.facebook.com/combinesharvest...4223/?t=10 Huh Big Grin
I use ratchet stands from Machine Mart they are very stable and safe sold as a pair, individual load 1.5 tonne or 3 tonne, paired 3 tonne and 6 tonne. Terry.
I have used ratchet type for years - you can't lose the pin.
I would have thought that with pin type axle stands it would have to sheer on both sides of the hole to collapse the stand. An almost impossible thing to happen at the same time.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Are we trying to fix something here that's not broken? I have four 3 tonne ratchet axle stands and they are perfectly reliable. The ratchet cannot release unless the weight is taken off the stand. Is the suspicion that they are less safe borne out by evidence or is the comment purely anecdotal?
I was not trying to making out that one type of stand was safer than the other. I just thought it was highly unlikely that the pin type would fail if the pin sheered as it would have to fail on both sides of the pin hole to collapse. If you don't believe me get a pin type stand and put the pin in half way (only through one side) and try and collapse it. You cant. I don't recommend going underneath with one like that but it is reassuring that they are hard to fully fail.

John Mason.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Although I have two sets of 'pin' type axle stands here at home, we use ratchet type stands at work. In Particular, we have a set that extend to about three feet high, which we use to support tractors especially when we have to split them.

Never had a failure with either type. Pin type stands tend to be less expensive but I think the one is equally as good as the other.

Besides, even the heaviest Austin Seven is lighter than the rated load of one axle stand of either variety. Just make sure that they are sitting square to the floor and give the car a shake to make sure it is firmly supported before venturing underneath.