The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carburetor 1929 Chummy
Where can I buy a new or refurbished carburetor for a 1929 Chummy?
Probably difficult to find, but you can get some useful new bits from Willie McKenzie, Austin Reproduction Parts, and Steve Hodgson SMH Services is good at repairs/reconditioning.
Robert Leigh
The 1929 FZ22b carburetor is difficult because it is a Mazak casting which is very brittle and often has distorted and/or corroded.
I changed to the earlier bronze 22FZ which doesn't have the same problems.
Jim
I think I got the 22FZ?

Does it give an indication of the month and year?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi Franco

You have quite a rare carb!  Its a bronze 22FZb export model. My RK (March 1930) has one.

The main differences to home models is that they are bronze (harder wearing) and they have an extension to the air intake for an air cleaner. The choke flap is enclosed.

Willie Mackenzie has floats, float needles, bob weights, jets, slow running adjusters etc.  Being bronze the carb is probably in good condition and the screw threads should be OK.  They are a good simple carb to use and, I understand, can be "tuned" to give more power.

Cheers

Howard
Thank You Howard

I will contact Willie and see if he can assist.

Any idea when they started fitting them?
Hi Franco

Sorry can't help with the dates.

However Mazak die cast carbs started to be fitted to home models in January 1929 according to Purves "Source Book".  

Oh and the metal may be brass not bronze.... Still a lot more durable than Mazak!

I think the export market was more conservative than the home and Austin would have kept specifications that way.

Cheers

PS David Cochrane (A7 components) sells a reproduction Zenith guide book for the 22 fZb.

Howard
Why not just send the original to Steve Hodgson and have it rebuilt. It looks complete enough save the float chamber top. He doesnt take long.
And an interesting bit under the main jet ?
Well spotted, Tony. Interesting indeed!!