The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear spring pin fit
I'm in the process of a diff rebuild and found that the spring pin fit in the diff housing is quite loose. I guess that the pin is held by the cotter  in the outer mount but this leaves the other end to rattle around in the shocker end mount. These mounts are somewhat oval as well. What is the recommended fix for this issue or is it normally just ignored? (Or welded and machined or bushed?)
Your thoughts and expertise much appreciated.
Bruce
Hi Bruce, firstly I have not had to do this repair on any cars I have worked on. Personally I think I would sleeve the offending side but be very careful to retain the correct alignment, it would be easy to misalign due to the ovality. You could of course replace the offending side tube if you have alternatives available?
Black Art Enthusiast
Thanks Ian. Can't see why the mount holes have worn like this maybe things have been loose in the past and flogged out the holes. Not sure how many pre girling diff bits are around but will check with club spare to see if I can find some better ones. How tight should the fit be originally?
Cheers Bruce