The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ulster (EA Sports) questions
I recently acquired an Austin Ulster (EA Sports) It's been abroad since the seventies but has come back home! Lots has been changed in it's 88 year life.

My time with Austin Sevens dates from the sixties when I owned a Pearl before I was legally allowed on the road! Then a Nippy that took me all over the country. Other interests have kept me busy since then but given the opportunity to buy this Ulster I couldn't resist.
Lots to do but I have a few questions to ask. I'm sure there'll be lots more.

The starting handle is a bodge. I should say that the engine is not the original one fitted but a 'tuned' one from the same time. Definitely something wrong here! Any suggestions?

The radiator cowl is cracked on all corners. Is it repairable?

The car has the number 09 or 60 stamped on prop shaft, depends from which way you're meant to see it. The same number appears on the spare wheel cover. Any thoughts?

is it a B1- car number?, as it will all be listed for its original spec if so... Henry Harris did a lot of research in the Gaydon archives.
Chris,

For information, I met Henry on Sunday at Bewl and mentioned your car to him during our conversation.

Alan

Chris,

Not sure if Henry subscribes to this forum, but If you search "Henry" among the threads that it finds is one from his son Austin dated 25/1/18 that has a link to the build ledgers.

Alan
The '60' on the transmission tunnel and spare wheel cover is the body number; my car (long since sold) was no42 and had the numbers exactly as yours. Assuming the body is original to the chassis (!) your car probably dates from around September or October 1930, and if so it will be a late B1 car number, for which the build records survive.
I'm Henry's son Austin.

The B1 ledger is here:
https://flic.kr/p/8t69Gn
Hmmm ... It looks like this is an early B2 car, so no Works ledger details available.