The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Erratic tick-over
With a Solex carb, HC head, Phoenix crank and what sounds like a "cammy" engine (I'm told by an expert) I cannot get a consistent tick-over. At cold it starts well without choke, ticks over reliably and when warm it sits merrily at around 5-700 rpm. Today was the longest drive of 8 miles at running-in speeds. On reaching the first junction where I had to stop after about 6 miles the engine died, started up easily but died again at the next few stops. As I have no crank-handle, the end of the engine having been blocked off, the dynamo (12v modified Fiat 500) is having a job to keep the new (12v) battery topped up for numerous starts.
Any suggestions and ideas gratefully received.

I'm also getting quite a bit of blue smoke when I set off, haven't had the plugs out yet. The engine has only run for perhaps 15 miles so far...

I also think the engine might benefit from a 4-blade fan as the gap between fan and rad is a couple of inches rather than a close 1/2" as I had on my previous car.
Might just be tightness in an engine being run - in.