The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silicon sump gasket
Hi all, I have just purchased a silicon sump gasket for my Ruby. I assumed that it is put on dry without any sealant. Can forum members confirm this and give any advice on fitting. I intend doing it without taking the engine out just lifting it a little to enable me to get the sump pan out and then back in again.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
I fit them dry.
How much better are they at sealing than the original paper gasket, please? (I have one here, but, as it is not fitted, I am not seeing the benefit at the moment! Worth fitting at the next oil change?)
With silicon sump and block base gasket my oil leaks, which were quite dramatic, disappeared.

It is a bit of a balancing act between tightening the bolts and how much the gasket squeezes - I expect Ruairidh with his extended experience knows exactly how to do it.

I am still experimenting.  I have changed nearly every gasket for a silicon one, including replacing fibre washers in the sump plug and water manifold nuts.

Got a leak from the valve chest I cannot stop, though   But I haven't tried the silicon moulded strip replacement there, yet.
Thanks - I did wonder if there might be a knack to getting a seal, with the gasket being thicker and squashy - perhaps Ruairidh has a pet torque figure he uses for this??

Colin
Simon's method is the same as mine - enough squish to seal, without pushing it out!

Cleanliness is imperative.
By the way, on my Ruby I can get the sump pan out without lifting the engine, with a bit of jiggling.

Colin
That should be the case Colin - some of the late SWB chassis can be tight but not the later type, in my experience.
Nice to hear you can get it on and off without lifting the engine. Colin is yours a Mk1 or Mk2 Ruby. Does it make a difference what Ruby it is as they both use the same sump gasket.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
John - it is a Mk2 - but I think, echoing what Ruairidh says, they are the same in this regard.

Colin