The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Car charger
Isn't there something about needing negative earth ?
Tony
If you use an insulated socket then it doesn't matter as you are just providing a 6v potential difference across the lighter socket. The earth of the socket then simply becomes -6V and in practical terms 0 to the sat nav, and the 'positive earth' of the A7 is providing a potential difference of +6V.
That's why you must use an insulated socket so that you don't put 6v positive from the A7 bodywork to the earth of the socket/sat nav.
As i noted, some have previously noted an initial voltage surge due to the lack of any voltage regulation which can damage the sat nav, but I have not experienced any problems in 10 years.
Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
I am now out of touch with such matters, but there is a huge amount of radio interfernce under the bonnet of completely unsuppressed cars. Dunno if any spikes find their way thru the bulkhead but a bypass capacito or shielded cable may reduce any spikes.
Just put a capacitor across the terminals, as close as you can get it to the output socket.

This short circuits anything that isn't direct current - so cuts down the interference.

If you can use a capacitor that will do in (or just outside) the distributor - very good.   A neat way of carrying a spare.

I bought an indicator unit from a well known supplier, along with LED festoon bulbs.

They are lovely and bright, but wouldn't work properly until I put the capacitor across the unit as recommended in the instructions.

Simon
I use one of these from Amazon. It is insulated. 

Idealeben Dual Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Splitter 12V 24V Charger Power Adapter

£15. 

Roly
1931 RN, 1933 APD
The socket I have was for use on boats. It's waterproof and has the facility to disengage the charger without removing it from the socket. It also has a cover for when it'd not in use.
Jim
My socket is one for a motorcycle which allows you to mount it on a flat surface without cutting out the large whole in the dashboard. It is also waterproof..

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.