The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clutch Finger Fit
According to Woodrow, the pegs which secure the clutch fingers to their posts in the clutch plate are a press fit in the fingers and running clearance in the posts.

Is this universally accepted as fact?

I ask because I have some which are the opposite - peg is tight in the post and a running clearance in the finger. Not obviously a replacement peg.

n.b. Pretty much every peg I've ever seen has a groove worn in its centre by the finger rotating on it. Presumably the peg has to be secured by something.

Not of great consequence but these things prey on one's mind at 4am!

It's a Newton-Bennett clutch if that makes any difference.
I don't know Chris of but of the dozens of clutches I have worked on in every case I have found is the same as you, its the levers not the pins that have the greater clearance. if this is the result of how the components wear or how they were manufactured I would not like to say, personally I suspect that had equal close slide fit when new.
Black Art Enthusiast
Thanks Ian. I can't believe Austin assembled anything lineside with a press that could equally well be popped in with your fingers. Once assembled it can't go anywhere.