The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rad Cowl repair

Was it as bad as this ?
This Rosengart radiator was dismal , splits , parts missing , poor previous repairs , you name it. You ask about splits in corners , I cut small sections of thin brass strip and fixed to the back first then silver soldered the crack up. 
It is possible to use soft solder to repair areas but not recommended, the plating process becomes more complicated and more expensive. Find a good plater and talk to him. 
I used, no interest in the company except a good job. Cranbourne Chrome Limited in Gosport.
Good luck

This is post plating
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
(04-12-2018, 09:39 AM)Derek Sheldon Wrote: Was it as bad as this ?
This Rosengart radiator was dismal , splits , parts missing , poor previous repairs , you name it. You ask about splits in corners , I cut small sections of thin brass strip and fixed to the back first then silver soldered the crack up. 
It is possible to use soft solder to repair areas but not recommended, the plating process becomes more complicated and more expensive. Find a good plater and talk to him. 
I used, no interest in the company except a good job. Cranbourne Chrome Limited in Gosport.
Good luck

This is post plating

Thanks.Condition is not quite as bad as yours. Multiple shallow dents and ripples, The cracks are radial, about 15-20 mm long. I'll try your suggestion of backing up with silver soldered brass strip with a generous overlap then filling the front with silver solder. Heat control will be challenging. I will be painting rather than plating so the finish does not have to be perfect. Best wishes Andrew
(04-12-2018, 10:16 AM)atmacg Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 09:39 AM)Derek Sheldon Wrote: Was it as bad as this ?
Good luck

This is post plating

Thanks.Condition is not quite as bad as yours. Multiple shallow dents and ripples, The cracks are radial, about 15-20 mm long. I'll try your suggestion of backing up with silver soldered brass strip with a generous overlap then filling the front with silver solder. Heat control will be challenging. I will be painting rather than plating so the finish does not have to be perfect. Best wishes Andrew

Andrew
It would be worth talking to a model engineer... I'm fairly sure that the silver solders they use come in several grades/melting points, allowing you to join sub assemblies without everything falling apart! Heat control need not be so much of a challenge if you use the highest melting point one first.
Regards
Nick
Erich,
Steel is much easier to repair than silver soldering cracks on brass rad cowls. Mig weld crack, grind flush both sides and then knock out the dents. Use a fine flat file to reduce the height of high spots and finish with fine rotary discs/drums in electric drill. Finale finish with finer and finer emery.