The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
panhard to rear-that old nugget
(11-06-2019, 01:03 PM)Alan Wrote: If you want to know about VSSC eligibility, it’s best to ask them directly for an opinion. The Chairman of their Eligibility Committee posts here and I think he’s an approachable sort of chap.

But, perhaps, not when he's on holiday in the Greek Aegean Big Grin Wink

Steve
Hi Grenade

What gives the car its apparent length please? If it is a Big Seven chassis the chassis extensions would not be questioned.
Is it just the seat moved back?
hi bob
its a 33 chassis but not big seven
just low with under tray
seat is just in front of axle

location of the rear axle-jumps all over the place-i guess made worse with extra weight
rear is quite light so skips across track

looking to add radius rods and better locate the friction shocks further back
currently use the standard/extended ones made of chinese monkey metal

and want to cross brace but the A frame arrangement in the green book i think is more 750 club
You may find you need to introduce shackles if you intend to use the A frame, otherwise the opposing geometry will probably tear it apart. I haven't suffered axle tramp under acceleration the torque tube seems to deal with that well enough, but I have under heavy braking! Improving the damping will reduce the skip over bumps in corners, but the skip is all part of the fun isn't it? I suppose with you having the extra power these issue's are exaggerated, but I always found my car was far more nimble and could out manoeuvre any of the larger cars on the twisty parts of circuit, it was the straights where I got out dragged. I just accepted the skip and tramp as part of racing a car of A7 vintage.
Black Art Enthusiast
Some aspects of the Seven design are very simple and bordering on the crude, but I don’t think any mechanical materials were in any way lacking.

I have often wondered to what extent the rear axle rolls back and forth on the shackles contributing to wander. It could part explain the alarming tendency for the car to rotate on corrugations.
Any radius rods would theoretically require the springs to be separated from the shackles.
As before my 1934 saloon seemed very under damped at the rear. On corrugations at any speed it required quick reactions to stop it shuddering around in a circle. On the seal if a broken edge was encountered at 50 mph or more the car would pounce, turn through about 15 degree, and required all my then young reactions to recover. If strayed into thick metal on unsealed roads it would snap into a terrifying roll oversteer lurch. With lever hydraulic s.a. was driven very extensively at 45 and more on unsealed roads and I am still alive. Seems to prove that rolling on the shackles not a major factor. Could be deliberately and controllably slid around roundabouts etc in the wet.
I dunno if there are any vintage hyd sas as effective as the slightly later Armstrongs. It is difficult to fit lever s.as in a workmanlike manner. My car now has Big Seven type fitted but not run since.
(written before last post appeared)