The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
silver coating on bumpers, windscreen frame, etc
I am restoring my '35 Austin Seven Pearl.  Some of the metal needs refinishing (bumpers, windscreen frame, etc.).  What is the coating?  Is it paint or a plating of some sort?

Thanks for any help!  Steve
The bumpers on my Ruby were pretty grim, I had them shot blasted and powder coated silver ( so the rear of the bumper looked good ) then I filled the face to fill in all the low (rust) areas and then had the face wrapped in 3M chrome wrap , but will replace with stainless ones soon.
Originally the parts you list were chromium plated. If it is re-done properly with appropriate underplating, and kept clean the replacement plating should last very many years. The problem with chromium is that it is porous, so if you don't spend money on having it done properly with suitable plating under the chrome corrosion will set in. This is more of a problem on the steel parts than the brass ones.
Robert Leigh
thanks! Bumpers and windscreen surround sure don't look like they've ever been chrome plated, but good to know. I can tell other parts are chrome (e.g. door handles), but the aforementioned other parts are just a non-shiny uniform silver color, almost like paint.

I have used a terrific plating company on a couple of other cars, Pauls here in the states. Very pricey, but their work is terrific.