The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1926/7/8 AD Chummy sidescreens
Hi all,

I need a bit of help from the Vintagents among you!

I believe it was/is possible to "open" the back side screens on an AD Chummy for ventilation like this:

I have seen in the past some kind of side screen peg socket, which I think attached to the hood support bracket. These are clearly missing on my car:

Does anyone have a picture of an original fitting they can add to help me? I could just fold something up but I'd like it to look correct.

Probably the last missing bit on the Chummy! It'll be complete then, 6 years after getting it on the road!

Regards

Tim R
At a slight tangent! I will watch for replies with interest! However I am having some straps made for my '27 AD as copies of what I think/hope is the original strap...it only has one hole & that has a metal eyelet! It fits through the slot of the rear hood rest bracket. I like the look of your hood cover...do you have any dimensions/patterns? My sidescreens are also (I think) original & I was puzzling how to hold them in the "open" position. I have managed to make up screw.washer fittings for some of the pegs though.
I believe there may have been more than one pattern of bracket over the years, but this is one version:

.jpg   Austin Seven Chummy p (2).jpg (Size: 97.89 KB / Downloads: 193)
Ha! Thanks Mike, that's exactly what I needed!

Back to the workshop to start bending.

David, the hoodbag and indeed all the trim was expertly made by David Nightingale at Nightingale Coachtrimming, who I can recommend without hesitation.

I don't think the early (pre autumn 1928) AD had the screw fittings as original to secure the side screens but I have seen them fitted to the later bodies so assume they came in with the general revision along with forward headlights and squarer scuttle. These later bodies are really very different to the earlier AD.

TR
Thanks for that information. I have a 27AD and a 32 AG...the sidescreensender are identical apart from the earlier one being held together with brass slotted round head (2BA) bolts and nuts where as the later one is riveted
David