The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
solid mounted front end
sorry to thread hog, but Alan, can one do BOTH, then?
Mount the end that has the two plates meeting and thrusting against the central nylon bush......it you mount the other side then there are two single blades each thrusting their thin edges = cut in and rapid wear.
Weld tubes into the end of the damper arms fit rubber bushes and it will work, the change in length over the distance travelled is not enough to bend anything. I used to use this set up on my special for many years in the past with no problems, I ran a very tight front end set up which probably helped in my case. I do agree with Allan that it is not an ideal situation, and these days I would lock one shackle with a plate as pictured, this is one I have just made and fitted to the Campbell car. 

Black Art Enthusiast
I have used the same setup as Ian tubes welded into the s/a ends with rubber bushes, the arms must be set horizontal to reduce the arc of movement but this has worked fine for the 20yrs of hill climbs and sprints it has endured, I have replaced the rubber bushes a few times but nothing has broken and it handles well.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Terry.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

My set up in action a few years ago, I agree with Terry that handling was very good even if theoretically not perfect.

Black Art Enthusiast
I use the simple solution of a section of tyre held in the shackles. It holds the axle central but allows the spring to change in length.
My 1929 fabric saloon steers straight and is happy with just a finger and thumb on the wheel at 50mph over the uneven Scottish Borders roads.
When I had a Nippy I attached one shock absorber arm directly to the axle having welded tube in at the axle end.
Works well on lowered axles were the arm meets the axle correctly with no link. Maybe a bit stressed with a straight axle I suspect.
Jim
Lovely job Ian, ever thought of manufacturing them? I'm sure there would be a market.
Cheers

Mark