The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
solid mounted front end
i would be interested in thoughts and comments on losing the links on the front friction shock as in the green book

most people opt to lose one of them-is that for roadholding? rather than track behaviour or is losing both and mounting the friction shocks directly to the axle a ticket to distruction?

my car mainly a race/sprint car but i would be glad to hear updated comments without reinventing the wheel
haha

in my humble understanding it looks like if you are only after/happy with minimal movement; if you line the friction shock on the centre line of the beam then you will achieve that; no?
if the friction shock is below as is the common position then the arc is different to the spring and i understand it binds; hence the link

thanks
If you look at the front axle you will see that there is no sideways location, it’s free to move within the constraint of the spring shackles. This is not the best of ideas, and the usual thing to do is rigidly mount one of the damper arms, like you suggest. It’s a compromise. The damper arm is no longer free to move, it’s restricted by its arc of travel. The better solution would be a separate panhard Rod, but this adds weight. Like I say it’s a compromise. With the damper mod you will certainly feel an improvement in straight line stability and in steering precision. It will also help in the fight against wheel shimmy. However, it might not work so well for damper control. On balance, I’d do it. Mine has been that way for years. Any better solution is likely to add weight just where you don’t want it.
Alan Fairless
thanks alan, and what would be your thought on rigidly mounting both dampers but with a good rubber bush
in line with the axle?
jeremy
A friend of mine was supplied a front damper arm with the ends held apart by half an alloy link with a rubber bush in it.

The holes were standard size, so if this was fitted the shock centre pin would be directly connected to the pin on the axle, with no rubber to take up the movement.

I don't think this is right, is it?

The holes in the arm should be opened out so the bush goes through the arms as well?

I have fitted one of those dual arm front shocks to my Tourer and it has improved the handling- the front end is much less inclined to hop about.

I know this isn't racing stuff, but thought it worthwhile on a thread about front shocks.
If you immobilise one link, the damper can still move by shifting the axle sideways, but by an insignificant amount. Locking both ends means you are relying on the compliance in the rubber bushes for damper movement. I think this might work, but it seems wrong to me.
Alan Fairless
If locking one shackle, is any side preferred?
Packing rubber blocks between shackle and vertical part of axle was fashionable at one time, but I have not seen it advocated for ages.
If you rigidly mount both ends of the damper arms you have created something that is very restrictive of suspension movement & tries to counteract the up and down movement of the front spring. It'll be very crashy on the front. Agree with Alan, immobilise only one end this will sort out most of the lateral movement. I did it on my supercharged special and the front end is pretty well planted.

On mine I fabricated up a 3mm steel plate that is trapped between the spring & chassis, it has the 2 round mounts for the left & right friction shocks + the bracket holding the blower. In effect I have the sports double shock conversion being offered by one of the cherished suppliers. It's gusseted and double plated where required and after a good caning up the hill at Simola has proved up to the task.

Aye
Greig

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

As already mentioned, the dual separate arm shock arrangement from David Cochrane makes an immediate improvement. Usual note that my only relationship is as a happy customer.
Has anyone experience of comparing both the dual shock arrangement AND the single immobilised link. i.e. is the former any better?
Yes No, the biggest improvement comes from the immobilised link. However they do different things. The link mod sorts out the lack of sideways location of the axle. The split damper is to improve the damping rate in roll, which the standard set up doesn’t do very well.
Alan Fairless