The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Joss Campbell Special
Looks lovely...proper "factory job"...

For others who think in metric a handy table of gauge to mm to kg/m2

https://www.custompartnet.com/sheet-metal-gauge

18g seems very thick, but relative to a modern car very little shape, boxing or support.
In comparison to a modern car 18g is thick, but as I said in this case its in comparison to a factory floor pan.
Black Art Enthusiast
Finally found a couple of pictures of the Mk1 floor pan assembly as Joss was developing his design, earlier pictures were either of number 2 or 3

And a grainy image of the skin, on the floor, I will see what other old pictures I can find of the design evolution, but will keep the thread updated as the final build up of the car happens. 

Black Art Enthusiast
Notice no stiffening shallow channels in floor. My Nippy new floors had them put in by using a couple of very large angle irons (3 X 3) put in the vice held about half inch apart with spacer and a half inch round bar, bent to shape and with each end rounded off, was placed over the gap and a heavyish hammer used to hammer the floor into the gap........mind the man doing it for me is rather good at panel beating......perfik.
Today we had our fortnightly get together on a Saturday for Body Building classes. We took the opportunity to get Joss's floor-pan there and we did some hot rivetting to complete all the work that is required.

I have taken it away to prep it, so that Ian Williams and I can etch prime it and then apply a top coat ready for it to go back on the rolling chassis which Ian put up the photos of, a couple of weeks ago.

The photo shows Ian Williams in hot rivetting mode on the firewall.

Further updates on progress in a week or so.
Air-riveter and no ear-defenders? Well really! That aside, looks like a grand job.
What??? I have been deaf for years Duncan! Seriously only extremely short bursts are required and its actually not that loud when the rivets are heated, you will note I have almost perfected the crucial facial expression required to obtain a good set Smile
Black Art Enthusiast
Rack o't' eye and skew o't' gob are critical to a well set rivet!
I love the teasing trigger on the aircraft tools but I've never used one for hot rivets.

My lack of care of my own hearing in the past has given me permanent tinitus which is often exacerbated if I forget the earplugs. Anyone who comes into my workshop is offered ear defenders. I used to insist that they were worn but gave up in the face of stupidity...
Well not to belittle the serious point, quite obviously stupidity reigns supreme with me Duncan, I have spent my entire working life in noisy surroundings, ignorance was bliss when I was younger and I too have hearing loss as a result. I strongly recommend and use hearing protection with excessively noisy or prolonged operations, don't do as I do children do as I say, but I also accept it is the individuals responsibility to asses the risk posed so try not to preach. I probably have as much hearing loss from being a concert goer and guitarist in a rock band as I do from work or other hobbies, as well as liver damage from drinking too much, and artery damage from to many bacon butties. So if all that and the brain damage doesn't get me I will probably die from radiation poisoning due to the depleted southern hemisphere ozone, that is if rising sea levels don't drown me first.
Black Art Enthusiast
The way I look at it is if I’d been told 40 years ago that standing next to loud race engines might make me hard of hearing as I got older, would I have changed what I did?
Alan Fairless