The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What did your car do in the War, daddy?
Our cars over their long lives would have been witness to momentous historic events of the twentieth century, with the 75th anniversary of D-Day landings this week, how many of our cars played a role?

Or what other duties did they play in WWII?

Were they hiding away, too frightened to come out, or were they plucky and out in the thick of it?

Neither of my cars has given up any secrets (thus far, but working on it), so let's put on record, just exactly "what did your car do in the War, daddy?".
Not exactly what it did in the war but my cars 10th birthday is on D Day. 1st reg 6 June 1934.
In the late '30s and early '40s my RP belonged to a Miss Betty Lewis of Bishopstone, Herefordshire. She worked as the Secretary to the Manager of the local electricity company (SWS) in Kington, some 12 or 13 miles away.

When petrol rationing was introduced, Miss Lewis' job was in jeopardy, as she couldn't get to work. Her boss, Mr Elson, was entitled to a ration, but didn't own a car. He was "courting" at the time and somehow a deal was done whereby he claimed the petrol ration for the car, allowing Miss Lewis to commute, in return for use of the car at the weekend to conduct his romantic assignations.

Miss Lewis herself told me this story in the late 'seventies, and it's borne out by the ration stamps in the car's logbooks, which I'm lucky enough to have.
I rather suspect my car slept through all the excitement.
Petrol rationing hugely restricted use. Here it was one or two gallons per month or similar. Tyres wore much faster than now, and almost unprocurable. My car was purchased in 1940 before full restrictions. My father was a plumber and eked out petrol with white spirit.  Car was used for essential tasks; eg bringing home sacks of coal which part explains the customary RP rear distortion.
Car was used for courting and with petrol donations from friends enabled a honeymoon trip 120 miles away. But with owner in the Air Force little chance to use anyway. Car was loaned to an uncle on final leave to take his girlfriend out. Parked downtown a major but little publicised earthquake collapsed a parapet onto the road in front. Also used to fetch me home from the “baby factory”. (Has anyone else on the Forum had such a long continuous relation with the same car?)
In the war years towns and cities were more compact with factories and warehouses downtown. The extravagant modern practice of driving many miles to work each day was uncommon.

.jpg   Dunkirk Seven.jpg (Size: 168.91 KB / Downloads: 385) Beach at Dunkirk, 1940
My RL was used by Harry Dinsdale throughout the war years as required transport in his "Reserved Occupation" as a garage owner/mechanic in Colwyn Bay N Wales.. Presumably to keep the local food suppliers transport going. He became my employer when I started my apprenticeship with him, August 1957. The RL was languishing in a shed at the rear of the garage when I started. Eventually given to me April 1961. Best present I have ever had.
The Dunkirk photo curious. Did the army use ordinary 2str Sevens? Do the tyres fit Rosengarts?
One of my cars was in use in 1942.Although owned by a W Jackson of Bingley W Yorkshire (He had owned it since 1936)was in use by him in Old Bursledon near Southampton. It would be a story in itself to find out what he and the car were doing there.
The Miltary 2-seater was basically a PD/APD Opal with certain variations from standard. The main differences were the scuttle tank, retained on all War Office Contract cars right up to 1939, and revised electrical speccification including power take-off on the dashboard. Later cars were ungraded with Ruby-style steering wheel, Girling brakes and three-bearing cdrankshaft as these were introduced on mainstream cars.