The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Twyford Waterworks Autumn Rally, Hampshire 01-10-2017
Date: 01-10-2017

Twyford Waterworks Autumn Rally, Hampshire

Hazeley Road, Twyford, Hampshire, SO21 1QA

11AM-4PM

Alongside the incredible pumping station with it's beautiful Buildings, housing 3 1906 Babcock & Wilcox water tube Boilers; 1914 Hathorn Davey triple expansion pumping engine; steam plant; lime production equipment including 5 bottle kilns; water softening plant; and industrial narrow gauge railway, there will be visiting exhibits of Traction engines, cars, stationary engines, demonstrations and displays.
The water works are expected to be back in steam next year after much hard work, a summary of the project can be found on the news page of their website.

More information on the waterworks and the open days they run can be found on their website HERE, and include some photographs of the site.
Another superb day out, at an amazing place. Lots of great exhibits, both resident, and visiting. Weather was again not so bad as forecast it was a busy event with people coming and going. Walking into the site we were welcomed by Dale Johnsons lovely 'Home Guard' van replica, the beautiful pumping house and the sound of stationary engines putting away. We spent the day exploring the visiting exhibits and the incredible site, it is remarkable place with most all of the equipment that is original to the site, still there. You could really spend days there looking at everything, it is all well displayed with good information panels. They were running a number of their own engines on site including an 1895 Crossley Gas Engine, and a large circa 1935 3 cylinder Ruston Hornsby Diesel engine. In the afternoon we went on one of the free guided tours which were running throughout the day, which led by Dale Johnson, in his full Home Guard uniform, was brilliant, entertaining and informative. Pictures only cover a small part of what is there, I really would recommend anyone to visit especially as their next open day (2018), they will have the Triple expansion engine returned to steam.

As usual, I'll start with the Austin Seven, Dale Johnsons 1933 RP based 'Home Guard' Van replica

There was a wide range of other cars in attendance, mostly pre war.

1914 Ford Model T, with interesting period Hassler coil spring 'shock absorbers'

1919 Essex A Series

1926 Vauxhall 14/40 LM Type

1932 Alvis 12/60

1935 Hillman Aero Minx

1937 Rolls Royce 25/30 Landaulette

1937 Triumph Gloria Twelve Southern Cross

1920 New Imperial 320CC, and 1923 Excelsior 150CC

1912 J&H McLaren 'The Favourite'

1/2 Size Allchin Traction Engine 'Lady Ann'

Miniature Burrells, that we had seen at Burley the day before

Visiting Stationary Engines

The 1895 Crossley Gas Engine

One of the site's Lister shunters, this one with JAP engine

And Some photos of the site's buildings and machinery

The Pumping House

These buildings are associated with the on site lime production and water softening, you can just see the 'Bottle' Lime Kilns on the left.

In 1935 the main building was extended to add a diesel pumping room.

2 of the waterworks' 3 Backcock & Wilcox boilers. The one on the left passed it's steam tests in August, after a long period of restoration, and is ready to go into service producing steam to run the triple expansion engine at open days next year.

The 3rd boiler has been left open at the side, so you can see what is going on inside.

And finally the Stunning 1914 Hathorn Davey Triple Expansion Engine.

I hope you have enjoyed the photo's, do reply if you have.
(04-10-2017, 01:40 AM)Timothy P Wrote: And Some photos of the site's buildings and machinery

The Pumping House

These buildings are associated with the on site lime production and water softening, you can just see the 'Bottle' Lime Kilns on the left.

In 1935 the main building was extended to add a diesel pumping room.

2 of the waterworks' 3 Backcock & Wilcox boilers. The one on the left passed it's steam tests in August, after a long period of restoration, and is ready to go into service producing steam to run the triple expansion engine at open days next year.

The 3rd boiler has been left open at the side, so you can see what is going on inside.

And finally the Stunning 1914 Hathorn Davey Triple Expansion Engine.

I hope you have enjoyed the photo's, do reply if you have.

Grand coverage as usual - particularly with the captions, thanks.

Cheers, Tony.
Thank you Tony, glad you liked the captions as well.
I've been experimenting with videos as well, but I'm afraid I'm yet to produce anything fit for public consumption.
I think I've got everything worked out now, so with any luck future report may have a bit of video too.
Thanks again for your support.