The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Tracking
Thanks Phil. Once I'd realised I had untrue wheels I did it at 120* increments to try to compensate for the wobble. My Trakrite device shows marginal toe-in in repeated, staggered uses. However, the "savage" pitch of the adjustment thread rather outweighs any attempt at subtlety! One turn of one TRE seems to create a travel of about 8-10mm at the rim.
Without taking the entire thing off again and re-heating and bending more (or less) I cannot see a way of getting an accurate alignment.
It would seem that on the Austin 7 "something like" is "near enough".
Has anyone thought of producing a RH/LH thread adaptor for the centre of the cross-tube? I'm almost tempted to use 2CV components cut-and-shut into it.
I usually use 1/16" toe in on the brake backplates, assuming they're relatively straight. Takes the unknown out of the wheels.
The Trakrite alignment gauge is a very good way of checking toe in or toe out as it measures tyre scrub,as long as the wheels run fairly true it give an indication of the way the wheels are tracking.
Terry.
"One turn of one TRE seems to create a travel of about 8-10mm at the rim."

You can do 1/2 a turn and fit the end 'upside down' - cuts the adjustment down a bit. 

Cheers, Tony.
There's an idea...ta!