The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steering Wheel Help
I have decided that the practical difficulties of getting in and out of Slippery Anne with the steering wheel in place make the fitment of a removable wheel the only viable option. I have two early style dished wheels, one which is in really nice condition, but, the wrong patern for Slippery, and another which is the correct type in horrid restorable condition. However, to make a discreet removable wheel will require me to butcher one of them, which I really do not want to do

I recall seeing a modern reproduction aluminium casting of the deep dished early wheel, but, cannot find the supplier, please may I ask the forum for guidance?
I would also be interested to hear about any other removable wheels fitted to Sevens.

Regards,
            Mark
John Barlow used to make and sell the three spoke castings.
Patrick Chaussat at Carcassonne uses a detachable wheel. At Montlhery I sat in his car which has limited body space, being narrow but not a single seater as such. Patrick uses a standard splined wheel with a wing nut in place of the original hexagon type. It would have been very difficult to get in without removing the wheel.
Robert Leigh
Hi Mark

After some clearance problems with a flattish steering
wheel with the dash and windscreen I’ve fitted a deep dished wheel to
the AllAlloyCup, I can get in OK , just, but getting out involves a lot of
manoeuvring as the clearance problem is now transferred to my
Waist and the space between the B post and the steering wheel!!

I may need to lose a few pounds or more accurately inches!!

Regards

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
Hi Ruairidh, 

Thats brillant thank you, I will give John a call.

Kind regards, Mark.

Hi Robert,

It is possible, but also very difficult to get into my car with the wheel in place, it is even harder to exit, especially in a hurry, which as this is a track car makes a quick release wheel somewhat of a necessity.

I have a design in mind which will keep the original appearance with the levers still in the centre.

Kind regards, Mark.

Hi Bill,
        Keep the inches and make the wheel removable! Until I figured out how to make a QR system work on the Austin wheel, I was looking at pictures of Jappic which just like my modern Audi has a flat bottomed steering wheel.

All the best, Mark.
so will the levers etc in your planned design be quick release too? Intrigued...
The Pea Green Special (the mini ERA single seater) has a removable wheel.
I'm sure that someone at Wiscombe Park earlier in the month must have taken a photo of the fitting

Charles
Hi Mark

I’m a slow learner and have realised that I
have the option of using the passenger door,
so that’s one problem solved but not for you!

Regards

Bill
Based near the Scottish Border,