The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lick of paint Mr Faulty...
Alan,
I understand that bit. But, having taken the Seven from Bala to Llanbrynmair and just got back after scrambling up Cader Idris both ways in second for a good portion of the climb, perhaps a little more power preferably without departing from the standard look of the engine might be a good idea.
Can be arranged.
Alan Fairless
yikes. what a story of nightmare! Are you religious with protective coolant for such heads?

Out of interest, how does the car feel now with the LC iron head on in comparison?
I use Fernox Jon - but only in the summer.

We can suffer very cold temperatures in the winter and I have always drained the cars if I am not using them daily.

The 90 year old head is made of very good quality aluminium and repairable, it has provided good service over the last 15 years and many, many miles of hard use. The gasket had not failed and even worked perfectly with all the nuts removed!

I have lost some low down grunt with the replacement head - nice and quiet though!
Draining the cars regularly might not be such a good idea R, exposing the metal to air in a damp environment may accelerate corrosion, would a good antifreeze whilst in storage be a better option? I was also told by the national manager from a large manufacturer of radiator cores that storing the radiator dry is not a great idea, apparently it causes deposits to set hard making them almost impossible to remove. His advice to me was store used radiators wet with a good inhibitor, of course he may not have known what he was talking about but I listened.
Black Art Enthusiast
(17-05-2019, 07:58 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I use Fernox Jon - but only in the summer.

We can suffer very cold temperatures in the winter and I have always drained the cars if I am not using them daily.

The 90 year old head is made of very good quality aluminium and repairable, it has provided good service over the last 15 years and many, many miles of hard use.  The gasket had not failed and even worked perfectly with all the nuts removed!

I have lost some low down grunt with the replacement head - nice and quiet though!

I saw a friend of mine yesterday who has replaced a 37 head on his Chummy with a "slope milled" early one (a la Malcolm Parker style). He said that it goes just as well.

Charles
It is inevitable that some teeth sucking is going to happen whenever something like this is shared. The problem we juggle with is that too strong an antifreeze is also not good for older radiators - it's a catch 22.

Too weak, it freezes and busts the block, too strong it attacks the solder, drain and it corrodes.

Everything in perspective and the problem has been overcome, the head will be repaired. Most importantly the car is ready for the school run in ten minutes time.

Oh, and my back is much better after a lovely hot bath!
(17-05-2019, 08:38 AM)Charles P Wrote:
(17-05-2019, 07:58 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I use Fernox Jon - but only in the summer.

The 90 year old head is made of very good quality aluminium and repairable, it has provided good service over the last 15 years and many, many miles of hard use.  The gasket had not failed and even worked perfectly with all the nuts removed!

I saw a friend of mine yesterday who has replaced a 37 head on his Chummy with a "slope milled" early one (a la Malcolm Parker style). He said that it goes just as well.

Charles

My experience is the same as your friend Charles, it's a great mod.

We made it!

I agree. I was a bit sceptical when Malcolm first told me, but then I tried one.
Alan Fairless
The downside of removing the quotes is we can no longer tell who is replying to which comment!