The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horn push tube removal.
The steering column on my special is from a Mk 11 Ruby and I wish to remove, and discard, the horn push and indicator arrangement at the steering wheel end so that I can make a plain centre cap. 
I know that to do so I must release the clamp from the bottom and pull the tube and wiring out complete but in doing so will I then allow the steering box oil to escape or is there some other form of seal at the bottom please?
If this is not the case and I then have an open end to the steering box, could anyone suggest an alternative method of retaining the oil please?
Many thanks for your time.
Graham.
This will not allow the oil to escape Graham - remove away.
Many thanks indeed Ruairidh.
Much appreciated.
Graham.
You can have yourself a new storage cubbyhole, for storing red liquorice laces and the like.
Not if they fall down the hole I can't!
Whilst the oil has been mentioned, what grade of oil and too what level. Please
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
(15-05-2019, 07:33 AM)Derek Sheldon Wrote: Whilst the oil has been mentioned, what grade of oil and too what level. Please

I remove the brass oiling nipple and fill the steering box with SAE 140 up to the level of the oiler hole. I have a dedicated oil can for the SAE 140 so that I can squirt it in. Useful for the back axle too.
Ok now I’m confused...
When I dismantled mine it was filled with grease, but you are saying fill it with oil!
Cornwall Austin 7 club website says “grease”: http://www.austin7.org/Technical%20Artic...0Overhaul/

Which should it be? 
Does it even matter?

Andrew
I don't think it does. So long as it is well lubricated. Grease has a habit of going hard over the years. I have just stripped and overhauled an old Bosch wiper motor. The grease in the gearbox had gone absolutely solid which is the main reason it wouldn't work.
In a steering box I have found that straight grease eventually gets pushed out of where it is needed, I mix a little heavy oil in with the grease which appears to solve the problem. Penrite do a steering box grease which might be another solution but I have not used it personally.
Black Art Enthusiast