The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Three speed box - changing position of first gear...
Agreed, I have an Eltos on my car and once used to it becomes second nature
Black Art Enthusiast
The ball change on the three speed gearbox is very prone to wear and becomes very floppy. The throw of the lever gets very big. I had a 1930 fabric saloon like that. Top gear took the lever across onto the passenger seat and it had to be pressed into the seat squab. I imagine that is why it fights the handbrake on the reversed layout. The ball itself and the slot that locates it wear, as does the aluminium casting.
Yes, it just needs the different selector forks which are interchangeable. Not difficult to do but a bit of a fiddle as the front and back covers both have to be removed. Care is needed to locate all the shims and get them back in the same place.
Probably a good idea to fit a new layshaft at the same time. It wears and contributes to the noise in 2nd gear.
Jim
Agreed Jim but altering the selectors will also require different shimming to suit.
Black Art Enthusiast
You are right Ian.
However as the selector rods won't be changed it may just need shims swapping between front and back but not side to side.
Jim
I improved a three speed ball change greatly by rubbing down - on a flat plate - the top casting that holds the ball in place. Got rid of flop.
Thanks for the ball tightening advice,
I may resort to this .

Regards

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
Yes Jim I can see your logic but it is relying on the selector arms themselves being manufactured to exactly the same tolerance as those removed, added to which the rods will no longer be in the same location within the gear box. The indent balls are in a different location on the 3100 selectors so rods need to be altered to suit, trust me I have done this and found re-shimming to be necessary.
Black Art Enthusiast
I used to find that when courting various girlfriends in my 1930 Mulliner the bottom left for first gear was great fun ...............................
It's a bit like moving between cars with a centre throttle and a normal set up.
You only make the mistake once of trying to brake with the throttle pedal. After the terror of accelerating towards a stationary car your mind embeds the new knowledge rather well.

Charles
I have the same troubke on traction engines Charles. Some are pull to go. some push to go.