The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Three speed box - changing position of first gear...
I've been following this thread with more than idle curiosity, Dad's late '26 Chummy with original motor according to the chassis rail numbers has this backwards gate change box and the September '28 'R' Type Top Hat has the conventional left down 1st.

That might help put a date onto when, but not why. It's just one of those quirks and we're quite happy to live with it.

Aye
Greig
Most boxes like this appear to have come from 1929/30 cars, in my experience.
but the weird thing is they went BACK to the original old fashioned arrangement before the 4 speed box came in, didnt they? Was the "modernish" 1929/30 arrangement weaker from an engineering point of view?
judging by Ians contribution here the box is the same, just has different selectors.

From a personal point of view, I find that the gear lever on a ball change conventional box often comes into conflict with the handbrake, particularly when the handbrake is engaged. I'm sure mine is not the only car with the paint worn off the change speed lever by the handbrake

Perhaps the idea was that when your bowling down the road needing middle and top gears, the handbrake is always off, so conflict not likely.

As for date, where the cup came from, the skip that contained the body parts also contained a long nose banjo axle, a front axle (undatable) and a steering box. So the arse backwards gearbox top is of similar vintage to the axle.
Once upon a time it was claimed that one could identify a gentleman by his ability to change gear in an Austin Seven without embarrasing his lady passenger. Maybe it was thought that a hurriedly grabbed top gear was more embarrassing than selecting first gear at leasure ... but then they found that it made no difference at all, so reverted to the original layout, which in fact was the more common layout for a three-speed gearbox at the time ...  Tongue
According to the booklet 'List of Production Changes', the new ball change gear lever was introduced 29th October 1929 (chassis 99001) superseding the gate change but with the 'LH down first gear' and reversed selector fork box assembly 

At the same time the bacon slicer starter was changed to the direct drive and the starter button was moved to the transmission tunnel.

I don't remember- but my first 1929 fabric saloon must have had this new 'opposite hand' ball change

Apparently the new ball change gear lever soon reverted to the earlier change pattern 'RH down first gear' with the original selector fork type around July 1930 (chassis 113068)- after only 7 months production.

Not sure why the reversed change pattern was selected but it obviously wasn't popular.  Did I read somewhere that a few new cars had this ?
Ford 8 and 10 models were 3 speed until the early 1960's. They employed a LH Down 1st gear arrangement exclusively. I believe Morris were the same for most of their three speed models models, so it seems Austin were just moving into compliance with the market in 1929. Which makes it even stranger that the positions reverted in 1930. Perhaps it was customer feedback?

I've driven 3 speed Austin Sevens for 35 years and would be completely fooled if I had a 1930 "reverse" change box!
I have driven a few like it Tim - it makes for an interesting haver between 1st and 2nd!
If you think that’s confusing, try fitting an Eltos remote change. Upside down and back to front is really confusing.
Alan Fairless
I have similar on the Ulster - I say in my head "forward for first - back for reverse"!

I have driven that car so much that I rarely get it wrong to be honest, almost on autopilot - I akin it to wearing an old leather glove, tatty as hell and worn out but comfy with familiarity!