The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Three speed box - changing position of first gear...
My 1929 Standard Sports may have probably been fitted with a gate change - almost impossible to reach under the dashboard.

At some stage a nice long ball change gear lever had been fitted- the hand falls nicely to it !

Somehow they had found one of the uncommon 'LH down first' levers and fitted it to the standard box.

Luckily a club member had the reverse problem so we swapped levers - and I got a better lever with little wear in the ball pin and slot.
Reminds me how we once found a mag engine car with a coil fan blade sitting next to a coil engine car with a mag blade.  The coil engine was overheating (unsurprisingly) whilst the mag engine had a figure-of-eight fan belt so it worked just fine.  Anyhow, a quick swap sorted everyone.  Nice how it works out sometimes.
I have a gate change top - this means that I currently need to lift the reverse catch to get into second Big Grin

I witnessed a similar fan problem on a ScA7C run many years ago Damian - I suspect it is a commonly made mistake.
To put it bluntly my (gate change) ball seems a bit slack ...

Is it safe to remove some metal here to “ nip up” the ball
A little?

I already ground off some metal from the two side straps that
Retain the selector cross plate and it’s less loose there now

But my ball still seems floppy, Doctor please advise a remedy...

Regards

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
Drive the car before you make a decision...
(14-05-2019, 05:55 AM)Tony Press Wrote: My 1929 Standard Sports may have probably been fitted with a gate change - almost impossible to reach under the dashboard.

My 1929 Coupe had a gate-change gearbox, but the lever was much longer than standard - almost as long as a ball-change lever. I expect your Sports would have had a similar long lever.
Bill,

Slack and floppy balls are common as things get older and more warn.

The doctor recommends, if they go tight warn the misses Big Grin

I may not have the most conventional doctor.

Tony.
I wouldn’t fiddle with my balls, myself.
Alan Fairless
(14-05-2019, 08:27 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote:
(14-05-2019, 05:55 AM)Tony Press Wrote: My 1929 Standard Sports may have probably been fitted with a gate change - almost impossible to reach under the dashboard.

My 1929 Coupe had a gate-change gearbox, but the lever was much longer than standard - almost as long as a ball-change lever. I expect your Sports would have had a similar long lever.

I have seen a couple of the extra long levers, fitted to Fabric Saloons mostly.
My cup has a ball change top off a down and left 1st box on it.

I shall take it down from its lofty position and look to see if the box matches, or if its just the top. (I think it its a normal one) If its just the top id happily swap you a correct top for your box for a gate change one (even with some beer vouchers).

Out of interest, when did they fit these queer arse backwards boxes? and why?