The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Non original audible warning instruments
My little RP has two horns, one which is a 6v lucas horn originally from a Panther 600 m/c and an original Rist horn which has been refurbished. I have a hidden switch that allows me to select either one. However I have become increasingly frustrated by the reluctance of the Rist to actually work when you need it, and even when it does the output isn't what you'd call earth shattering. I have taken it off the car and have replaced it with a brand new Italian made 6v klaxon which I bought from a French classic parts supplier. Rather than having a solenois buzzing against the diaphragm (as in the Rist) it is motor driven. They are available in 6v or 12v versions, in red plastic or chromed. I bought the cheaper 6v version with the red plastic cone, which I have since sprayed black. It fits straight on to the central bonnet support rail where the Rist used to sit and needed little modification to the power supply (spade connectors). The rivet counters would spot it immediately but to the unitiated it looks the part. Once the bonnet is closed you can't tell until you press the horn. It gives out a really loud OOoo-haaah which can scare old ladies from across the street and makes the Rist pretty redundant.

OK it's not exactly Kosher but if you're after that typical old style klaxon sound it's the "genoux des abeilles" or even the "couilles du chien".

Link to the website here - I think they also sell them on Fleabay: https://www.monancienne.com/fr-FR/klaxon...LT-K6V.htm

29€ is just over £25 in proper money (plus postage of course)

Just thought you'd like to know.
Hi I have a 12v one of these, very loud and from a quick glance looks period to the untrained eye, but those who know will know. Good alternative though.
Can't seem to find one in 6 volt on Ebay..
One here on Amazon (french version) OK if you've got Prime:

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B01JOSVNTA
Many thanks for that R.R. but I've just managed to order it on your site.
Thanks for the original link as well.
Graham.
lhttp://www.ratsport.com/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=9611476 Available from Ratsport .
Andy
Photo of said item for reference. Doesn't look too out of place does it?

[Image: WP_20170928_13_43_50_Pro.jpg]
It looks excellent, but I'll have to use dirty paint to make mine less conspicuous!
Good evening All
My horn arrived today and I wondered if I might trouble any of you with a couple of questions please.
The instructions show the horn being wired through a relay and I wondered if this is the method
that should be adopted. Also, my wiring is positive earth so I wondered which side of the horn should be 
grounded, the + or - side please?
Many thanks
Graham.
(03-10-2017, 07:35 PM)Graham Honnor Wrote: Good evening All
My horn arrived today and I wondered if I might trouble any of you with a couple of questions please.
The instructions show the horn being wired through a relay and I wondered if this is the method
that should be adopted. Also, my wiring is positive earth so I wondered which side of the horn should be 
grounded, the + or - side please?
Many thanks
Graham.

Hello Graham.

The horn on my RP saloon operates through a feed from the +ve battery terminal (fused) which then runs to ground via the -ve terminal when the horn button is pressed. My car is negative earth. There is no relay. Assuming your car is positive earth then the set up should still conform to the horn's polarity which in your case the positive terminal on the horn should be connected to the horn button and the negative terminal to battery via an in line fuse (if you've got one). You can of course add in a relay if you want to but the original set up using the Rist doesn't use one and seems to work OK.

Before connecting it all up however, run a couple of wires from your battery and test operation across the klaxon's terminals just to be sure. The klaxon operates by virtue of a motor which has to turn in the correct direction for it to work properly.