The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SWB versus LWB box saloons
Many years ago, I owned a '34 RP saloon, which I eventually sold when something a little faster caught my eye. In more recent times, fired up by some work I'm carrying out on my early Ruby, I've become very keen on owning a box saloon once again.

This time, I'm thinking about the idea of a slightly earlier car, such as an RL or RM, or even an RK at a pinch. I'm aware of certain obvious differences, such as a smaller passenger compartment and (I believe) a 3 speed gearbox with no synchromesh. What advice or comments are the owners of such cars, particularly those with practical experience of both, able to offer? It's already become apparent to me that the SWB models rarely come up for sale.

Many thanks in advance.
For me Ian the earlier cars although lacking some of the sophistication of the LWB cars (relative term) do have more vintage charm than their later counterparts The RL/RM are lighter than an RP and have doors that don't fall apart quite so quickly LOL. I keep an eye out for SWB steel saloon's on UK sites like car and classic, there do seem to be a few that come up for sale. If you wanted a project I have the worlds earliest known surviving RM which I would like to find a sympathetic home for, I have so may other projects on the go I can not see me doing this one any time soon.
Black Art Enthusiast
You need to drive a 3 speed box to see if you are ok with the noise it makes.
Or better still, buy one and then you can keep it in the glove box of the Ruby and get it out to try every so often. The early RLs have really grown on me - without bonnet louvres or vents.

Test driving a well restored '34 Ruby against my '29 (admittedly with no roof) was like chalk and cheese. The former felt luxurious. The box needs more practice to get right, but the earlier cars are much lighter. Lots of people seem to trial steel SWB Saloons.
I've an RL and a RP here. They are like chalk and cheese.

If on my own Id sooner drive the RL. I like the ratios on the 3 speed box more. 1st gear on the 4 speed box is essentially only a gear for steep hills. The RL also seems nippier, thought it could be simply an impression given by the fact that it is significantly noisier, its main drawback. 

The RL is also not as good on steep hills. And I mean steep hills, not girly run of the mill stuff  Last time I tried going up the road to Moel Famau from Llanbedr 3 up the b@stard baulked and wouldnt go. The RP with its lower 1st gear and lower axle ratio flies up even with more weight and 400's on the back. 

The RP is modified also in that it has a H/C head (so that might help) and a similar aged 2-3-4 sync box. Also a low frame rubber mounted crankcase. The engine is harsher, but the gearbox silky smooth and quiet in comparison. For a long journey, particularly with the family (as it is my daughters car) this is usually the choice. On a nice day before the chummy was on the road the sunshine roof also was a plus point. 

The braking system on the RP means it pulls up square. IMO not possible with the RL due to brake shaft flex. 

The gravity fuel system on the RL is more reliable. The pump has let me down once on the RP. But a stuck needle valve on the RL resulting in petrol everywhere and rotting out the highway surfacing at the back of the house means i have a habit if turning it off if left unattended. This means i usually end up smelling if petrol most of the time. 

I shall be smelling of petrol tomorrow. Off to work in the RL whike the modern is having its annual overhaul, aka the MOT
You should have turned round and gone up in reverse Hedd. One advantage of the LWB saloons is if you take the passenger seat out there is enough room to sleep quite comfortably.
My RK goes very well and isn't noisier than other Sevens I've owned.
I rebuilt the gearbox with a new 'Andes' 2nd gear and new layshaft. The howl from 2nd has gone.
Jim
Lots of valuable info for me to keep in mind, so thank you all for your comments so far. Much appreciated.

Coincidentally, I logged onto eBay this morning to find an RL that's just been listed and at first glance looked like an ideal candidate in so many ways. However, I noticed also that it bears an age-related number, which is unfortunately a showstopper for me.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/183805722093
nice hospital waiting room back seat too. I presume that was originally pleats?
Of course, I did also spot the RM that cropped up on eBay a few days ago, but I'm afraid the cream leather interior somehow seems all wrong to me.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/143215333099