The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tire question - motorcycle question
Friends, while I am still some time from starting the Tourer (I suppose I need to name her at some point) I am wondering about tires. The car came with 6 rims, two of which have rubber on them. I haven't even tired to see if they hold air.

At the appropriate time, I will of course be buying new proper tires, but, for the purpose of restoration is it possible to throw some used motorcycle tires on the rims, just to set it up and push it around the shop.  Assuming this is possible, what size would I get?

Longstone says 350X 19.

this guy has 19 inch tires, but, are they adaptable? how do I know what size compares to - the 350 bit?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-motorcycle-parts...nFlag=true

thanks in advance all for your input!
The condensed version. The "350"=3.5". Most older tires were "100 series" or, the part between the rim and road is 100% as tall as it is wide. 3.5"+3.5"+19" means the overall diameter is around 26" 3.5" is about 89mm. There might be 90mm wide x 19" motorcycle tires. One that is close is the 100/90x19. 100mm wide, 90mm tall, 19 inch rim. 90 divided by 25.4=3.54". 3.54"+3.54"+19"=26.08 OD. That's close enough. Good hunting. Mike
If fitting old tyres temporarily beware thick wall very old hardened examples. Can be very difficult o to fit and more so to remove.
A hacksaw gets them of pretty quickly!
Black Art Enthusiast
I have recently bought a set of Mitas HN02 3.50 x 19 motorcycle tyres from a company who advertised them as suitable for light vintage cars. They were half the price of Avon triple Duties. They seem to work very well.
If your just after some tyres to prop the car up?
Go to a motorcycle repair place that do tyres and ask if they have any one that have been replaced with new that's how I did mine? Gave me the ones I have.
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
I came upon these on the internet:
https://www.heidenautires.com/product/k-28/

4.00-19 might be a little too big though.
Jim
Off the subject, but in the 1960s, before tread pattern was a legal requirement,  I ran my Seven on smooth motor cycle tyres 10 shillings each. Wages have increased about 40 times since then; can get a used modern tyre with reasonable tread for that price today.
A major disadvantage of steel radials on moderns is that cannot cut the tread! Although with the beads sliced off, tyres fold into a wheelie bin; no mean saving!
They are happy to get rid of old tyres because there is a disposal charge.
Robert Leigh
If its just to hold the car off the ground, use the wheels with no tyres.  If your floor is reasonably smooth and not damp it should not be a problem.
Cheers

Mark