The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SU 1' OM type damper cap type
Hi all,

after a successful Drive It Day outing yesterday I was checking the old girl over and I've lost the damper cap from my OM type carb.

Looking on Burlen's site it's not clear whether I should have a vented or un-vented cap, and I can't remember which type was fitted to mine. I can't remember seeing a vent hole in the cap, but not sure.  Is anyone on the forum running a pre-war type 1" OM?   If so, would you be kind enough to see if yours has the little vent hole, or not, in the brass damper cap and post a reply.

Also, anyone got any cunning ideas for stopping these things vibrating loose other than loctite?

Best wishes and thanks for any advice.

Robin
Get an unvented one. If it doesn’t run properly you could always drill a hole in it.
Alan Fairless
Yes, as Alan says. Don't Loctite. Give it a slight nip up with water pump pliers or similar.

Steve
I am not good on SU type letters, but does the OM have a damper? If it has I think there won't be a hole.
Robert Leigh
Without hunting out my hoard, surely whether a dashpot or not, now or originally, must be a vent of some sort. Unless of the 1960s type with diagonal vent to air cleaner formed into the round body.
Thanks for the advice folks. 

I like Alan's idea regarding the vent hole. Why didn't I think of that!

To answer Robert's question. The OM has no damper/ dashpot. The cap on these carbs is just a cap. 
(I.e. no attached damper as in the later post-war SUs on minis etc).   

Best wishes
Robin
One of my cars is prone to having its SU cap unwind. Fixed by cutting a short length of cycle inner tube and slipping it over the neck of the dashpot.
If your bicycle tyres are the wrong size I would think the finger from a redundant rubber glove might work.

Regards,
Stuart
I run with an OM carb, no damper, I believe that the correct circular brass cap has a vent hole, a coin slot, a knurled edge, and is engraved "use bicycle oil". Burlen part No. AUC 2144SBO. (don't forget a fibre washer to suit AUC 4900) 
     I lost a couple before, as Steve Jones suggests, I nipped them up with water pump pliers every installation, since then no problems. Shy
It's great these old SU bits are still available and the cost of the parts is reasonable but their international postage rates are terrible! I just bought a couple of ball ends, a 6 inch rod, two throttle shaft levers and a couple of new dashpot screws and postage to New Zealand was 25 quid!

I looked at using one of the UK forwarding services but it worked out to be much the same since if you post to a UK address you get charged the VAT. That offset any postage savings.

Simon

Which just goes to show that you should never throw anything away... Found this in a box of toot from my dad's man tin. No idea what it was!