The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oxfordshire Sevens Brake Upgrade
I am another advocate of properly set up standard brakes on modern linings with new 7CA drums - they work very well indeed.
All I would add to the good advice above is not to assume, on a car that you don't know the history of, that what you take to bits is the right part, fitted to the right place, the right way round. Have a good read of all the 'brakes' material on the Forum plus the various publications and get your spanners out!

Dave
Thanks for all the good advice I really appreciate it.  As a newcomer to Ruby ownership I'm obviously  on a steep learning curve.  Before embarking on any major changes I will certainly check to see if I can improve the performance of the existing brakes. All I would say is that the previous owner, who sadly recently passed away, was meticulous when it came to maintenance and record keeping and I have all the relevant documentation regarding work done on the car throughout the nearly 60 years he owned the car. I even have a copy of a letter he sent to his insurance company dating from the early 1960s following an accident when he ran into the back of the car in front blaming it on the poor quality of his brakes!
The semi-Girling cars have cast iron drums originally. The advantage of getting new ones from Tony is that you know they come ungrooved from worn out linings and unskimmed so they are correct internal diameter. Check yours before replacing them.
Robert Leigh
Setting a little datum stick to 7" is very instructional in comparing internal diameters of drums. Its seems obvious now but wasn't at the time for me.
Anyone seeking to obtain new brake drums from Tony Betts might wish to see this old post from Tony himself:

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/foru...s#pid22699