The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speedometer Drive (3-Speed Box)
Hi,

I am in the process of removing the engine from my Ulster replica and intend to remove it complete with the gearbox which I have done previously, although it was some years ago, so I know there is enough clearance, just.

I have come to remove the speedometer cable from the 3-speed box and although I can unscrew the retaining nut and the cable portion then seems relatively loose down in the drive it won't just pull out and I'm reluctant to put too much force on it.

So, have I forgotten something since I last did this or should the cable just pull out once the retaining nut has been unscrewed.

Alternatively, to avoid putting too much force on it, could I simply unscrew the complete brass drive from the gearbox or would this create any other issues when I come to re-assemble it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

John.
I can't think of a problem if you unscrew the brass bit from the gearbox. I suggest that first you disconnect the connection at the speedo and check if you can feel anything untoward from the top end of the cable.
Robert Leigh
Or disconnect the cable from the speedo end and take it out with the engine and box? Then you can see what's going on better.