The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitting flashing indicators
I have fitted removable indicators to my 1938 Ruby. These work well without the engine running, however with the engine running they do not flash. I have tried taking the live feed to the flasher unit from a number of different points. The bulbs are normal 6V bulbs. Has any one else experienced this problem
have you tried on high charge as it might be that battery drain on tickover is too much for the flasher unit to work. would also show by revving and seeing charge generated, then try flasher, rather than draining from battery.
if this solves then might be poor battery or duff flasher unit needing too much power to 'click'.
Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Hi,
I guess your Ruby still has the semaphore indicators like my Nippy does?
I have put in a pair of "Flashicator" bulbs which are LED based and flash when the semaphore indicator is activated. From the outside they look totally original but are much more visible at night when following drivers see a flashing light rather than just an orange glow of standard bulbs and seem to have been effective over the past year or so since I fitted them - it takes about a minute each!
I got them from Classic Dynamo and Regulator Conversions of Saxilby, Lincoln. Their number is 01522 703422 and you can see a demonstration on their website at www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com
The guy who owns the business is a vintage car enthusiast and a friend of my dad's but I have no other connection with him. I think his name is Pete.
Maybe that will help?
Best wishes,
Nick
Hi Dennis

What sort of flasher unit are you using ?  If it's electronic, its possible that it doesn't take kindly to the amount of electrical noise on the Austin's 6 volt supply.  This comes mostly from the ignition system when the engine is running.

A filtering cure may be possible, but we need more detail of your setup first.  Alternatively an older fashioned thermal type flasher may be a better bet.

Cheers,  John.
The interference generated by an all original Seven is considerable. As I have told before I used to regularly give a colleague a lift. Despite no definite pick up time he was always on the doorstep. He saw the Austin coming on the TV!
(26-04-2019, 06:28 PM)Nick Malone Wrote: Hi,
I guess your Ruby still has the semaphore indicators like my Nippy does?
I have put in a pair of "Flashicator" bulbs which are LED based and flash when the semaphore indicator is activated. From the outside they look totally original but are much more visible at night when following drivers see a flashing light rather than just an orange glow of standard bulbs and seem to have been effective over the past year or so since I fitted them - it takes about a minute each!
I got them from Classic Dynamo and Regulator Conversions of Saxilby, Lincoln. Their number is 01522 703422 and you can see a demonstration on their website at www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com
The guy who owns the business is a vintage car enthusiast and a friend of my dad's but I have no other connection with him. I think his name is Pete.
Maybe that will help?
Best wishes,
Nick

The set up on my 1937 Opal combines originality with efficiency — I fitted the LED flashers to my semaphore indicators a few years ago but I’m not confident that today’s drivers always see them plus they are a bit erratic on roundabouts etc. so I have retained them for originality but fitted the very good conversion available from Classic Dynamo to LED units in the side lights and pork pie rear lights. These cleverly combine side light with flasher. They are separately switched.
This provides a good indicator in the right place for other drivers to see. I have found them very reliable.

Charles