The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Pandora’s Box
        Or in this case Ray Smiths Box. Ray has a 1933 Box saloon with a very unusual prop shaft ( evidently according to Woodrows only used 1933-34 and on some sports models. Please see pictures. The question is how do you get them apart and if and when you do are there replacement Hardy Spicer Universal joints available for them. The normal Ruby type U/J’s are too large.
I suppose that a Ruby type shaft could be adapted and if this conversion has been employed my anybody advice would be appreciated.

Well I got them apart quite easily. One set knocked out with a punch the other set was retained with a piece of soft steel wire, once I could get under it , it came out quite easily. Now to find a replacement
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
The saloon has this joint one end of the shaft, the type 65 has them on each end of the shaft.
They have their own flanges which do not interchange with the ruby shaft.
When / if you find replacement parts please let me know so I can repair the Type 65 Propshaft.
Are those needle rollers or are they plain bushes?
they are plain bushes from memory. My '34 RP has one too.
My mates 1933 Sentinel steam waggon has one the same, but its as big as your head.
My RP has a hardy spicer (needle rollers) propshaft with UJs at each end. Only problem was the grease nipple at the front end that clattered on the handbrake mechanism until I sorted it. No idea where it came from, but probably Ruby.
Obviously 'off the shelf' is nice but if it comes to it I should have thought that could be 'restored'.
Yes they are plain bushes. I suppose that theoretically we could make some new caps.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
(24-04-2019, 06:36 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: My RP has a hardy spicer (needle rollers) propshaft with UJs at each end. Only problem was the grease nipple at the front end that clattered on the handbrake mechanism until I sorted it. No idea where it came from, but probably Ruby.

I just fitted the prop shaft to my Ruby based special and had exactly that problem. I had to fit a shorter grease nipple so it wouldn't hit the handbrake mechanism. 

Simon
It's the same type as used on a friends Austin Ten but much much longer. The forward end was shot so he took it to Northwest Propshafts (Chorley & Salford) where they made a new shaft with needle roller Hardy Spicer couplings which would fit his existing 6 hole flanges. Don't know how much, he delivered it on Saturday and collected on Tuesday.
Yes Derek they can be restored new caps are a simple job to turn up and the spider can be reground if required.
Black Art Enthusiast