The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1937 Ruby front brake lever Spring position ?
I have I have just been adjusting the front brakes on my 1937 Ruby and have noticed that the external brake lever springs do not contact the rear of the levers and hence do not return them after braking which may explain the inconsistent acceleration ( brakes binding ?)

I can put more tension in to the spring by moving the spring anchor point round from the front cam housing stud to the rear which , as far as I can see , should give the desired effect.

I thought I would just ask if there is a desired amount of tension in these springs ?

Thanks
Joe.
Joe, these springs are handed and there are front and rear versions, you may have the wrong springs fitted at the front, or they may have simply lost tension. New ones are available form our suppliers.
Black Art Enthusiast
Thanks Ian , I think you may be right.

Although I was very careful in keeping the spring with the backplate when I stripped the brakes there is no saying that they haven't been mixed up previously.

Does anybody know a supplier that may have a set of springs in stock ?

Joe.
I would suggest David Cochrane or the Seven workshop, Tony Betts may also have them, he will not doubt clarify if he reads this.
Black Art Enthusiast
Thanks Ian. I have ordered a set today so, hopefully they will arrive soon.
I have managed to tweak a bit of tension back into the old springs so the brakes are releasing ok at the moment.
Thanks again for your help.
Joe.