The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chemical cleaner
A small brass wire brush wheel on a drill with a speed control works well and will get into most places.
I use Yamaha parts dip made for outboard carb cleanup. Mixes 3-1 with water and works like the oldtime stuff from the 1960s 

Does wonders on old crankcases ..... Not mine the car's!
The carb body has been marinating for a couple of days and this morning I opened up the clingfilm. I think the result is pretty good. Judge for yourselves. Would like to try Bluto's suggestion of the Yamaha cleaner but cannot find a UK supplier. Anyone know of one?

Here is the carb before cleaning:

.jpg   P1080964.jpg (Size: 162.31 KB / Downloads: 445)

Brown sauce applied to one half of the body:

.jpg   P1080965.jpg (Size: 182.68 KB / Downloads: 442)

Wrapped in clingfilm:

.jpg   P1080966.jpg (Size: 192.04 KB / Downloads: 440)

After two days, clingfilm off and brown sauce cleaned off:

.jpg   P1080973.jpg (Size: 165.86 KB / Downloads: 448)

Now, what to do with all that brown sauce? I know!

.jpg   P1080975.jpg (Size: 163.65 KB / Downloads: 440)
Hmm... It doesnt look much cleaner than the carb cleaner got mine... Maybe it does have to be HP? That bacon smells good... And the pan is so clean. Perhaps try putting the carb through the dishwasher?
Honest Guys 

The Yamaha Carb Dip stuff cleans the carb like new.

I cleaned an old varnished, black inside crankcase in this solution. Ypou mix it with water and heat the whole mess at less than boiling. Use it outdoors it does stink BUT the parts do come out NEW!

You strain it. Put it in an Airtight container and use it over and over. In the US it's about US$10 per quart but it works like the good old carb dip from many many years ago. It's a problem to get. You need to order it from Yamaha OUTBOARD Dealers. I doesn't harm white metal, rubber, or gaskets. A guy  that buys supplies for LA City Garages put me on to it years ago. Imagine NO SCRUBBING, NO HASSLE AND CLEAN METAL in 24 hours!

Part number is ACC-CARBC-LE-NR
Just with a small wire brush on an electric drill fixed to the bench. Finished off with a little Solvol Autosoll to give a sheen.

After reading this thread, I thought I would have a go at this. http://www.austin7.org/Technical%20Artic...20removal/

It worked very well on steel components, but not to well on the piece of cast alloy I tried as it still came out with a dull Finnish. But it is cheep and cheerful and well worth having a play with. The components will still need to be cleaned up with a wire brush but it does get the deeper bits of rust out of the holes that the brush leaves behind.
It's all very well cleaning the outside to make it look pretty, but it is far more important to ensure that the inside is clean.
This is where the ultrasonic cleaner comes into its own.
I have found the ultrasonic cleaner particularly good at cleaning up old chrome and to a lesser extent, nickel. It shakes out the dirt without agressive cleaners - very useful on instrument bezels.

I was doing some tonight - the rad and lamp had about 10 minutes each.

Harsh chemical maybe but I found oxalic acid to be excellent on items like your rad cowl and lamp Ruairidh, it is particularly good on chrome.
Black Art Enthusiast