The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New brakes binding
Apologies if this has been covered but I couldn't find the relevant info.

I have just fitted new rear brake linings on my 1925 Chummy and it was very tight getting the drum back on and the wheel is very tight, I have removed the cable and this doesn't make any difference. Any thoughts please.
Hi James,

If we assume the linings are the right thickness; is there a metal shim between the shoe end and the cam (or pivot)? These are often packed out to compensate for wear.
If there are no shims I could simply be that the new linings have not yet fully conformed to the shape of the shoe/drum so are rubbing on high spots, are you still on 6" brakes with the cast steel shoes or has the car been converted to 7". it is sometimes it is hard to comment when there are no pictures and we have no idea what past owners may have done in an attempt to take up wear.
Black Art Enthusiast
I take it being a 1925, you are still on 6 inch brake.

The main problem with these is the return springs.

They are fitted on one side of the shoe.

so the wear on the flat of the shoe against the cam is lop sidded.

The result is the shoe/linning is no longer parrallel with the surface of the drum.

Your problem may be fitting new shoes, tipped on one side. Is lifting the linning angled to the drum. Hence it make the brake tight.

If that makes sense???

Tony.
Thanks for your suggestions, it has the original 6" drums and there are no shims I have taken the car out for a run and they seem to be bedding in but the drivers side is still quite tight.
Is there an easy way to get the springs on the brakes?
My 33 box did same. I gave it a run then filed down the high spots on the pads just a little to accelerate the bedding in process and all good, so perhaps judicial use of a rasp?
Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
(22-04-2019, 12:39 PM)Andy Bennett Wrote: My 33 box did same. I gave it a run then filed down the high spots on the pads just a little to accelerate the bedding in process and all good, so perhaps judicial use of a rasp?
Andy

Sadly Rumpole is no longer available for this job, he was a master of the judicial rasp Big Grin