The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
How to set up an external oil filter on splash fed?
Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help with some pictures as to the best way, and in fact how, to set up an external oil filter on a 1927 coil engine. I need to know where is best to set up the pipework running into the filter and if there are any modifications needed to the engine to achieve it. Rubber, copper piping or braided? Any modification to the oil pump? 
Any help would be most grateful. 
Thanks in advance.
Tim
Also interested in seeing this. Some oil ways have to be blanked I believe. J
Plug the rear of the gallery that feeds along the top of the crankcase to the oil jets, take a pipe out for where the oil pressure gauge was connected, ensure this has a large enough bore! Run the pipe though your external filter housing and back into the front of your oil gallery feeding the jets and front cam bush.
Black Art Enthusiast
(24-09-2017, 09:13 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: Plug the rear of the gallery that feeds along the top of the crankcase to the oil jets, take a pipe out for where the oil pressure gauge was connected, ensure this has a large enough bore! Run the pipe though your external filter housing and back into the front of your oil gallery feeding the jets and front cam bush.

Hi Ian,
Thanks for that. Any help on how and where to plug the rear of the feed gallery? What sort of bore needed from the old oil pressure outlet? Also, can the oil pressure pipe be taken somewhere else, or perhaps somewhere off the filter housing? Do you have any pictures?
Kindest
Tim
Tim at least 1/4" bore, I screw an aluminium plug into the gallery and take the oil pressure pipe from the filter housing after the filter, I don't have pictures immediately to hand.
Black Art Enthusiast
(24-09-2017, 09:53 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: Tim at least 1/4" bore, I screw an aluminium plug into the gallery and take the oil pressure pipe from the filter housing after the filter, I don't have pictures immediately to hand.

Thanks for the advice Ian. 
Best
Tim
What is the best way to plug the oil gallery? Thread it and screw in a bung?
This is a shot of the filter fitted to my Rosengart van . As you can see the oil pressure gauge is taken off of the top of the filter. I am pretty certain that I got the unit from Paul Bonewell. As stated earlier you have to block off the oil chamber . I used the same size tap as the thread in the chamber plug and ran it on in. For the plug itself I turned off the hex on the plug that I removed on other end of the chamber. The original oil pressure outlet will also need enlarging.
I hadn't realised until I previewed this post that you can also see the same mod on my Opal in the background of the picture.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
(24-09-2017, 08:37 PM)Au5t1n7 Wrote: Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help with some pictures as to the best way, and in fact how, to set up an external oil filter on a 1927 coil engine. I need to know where is best to set up the pipework running into the filter and if there are any modifications needed to the engine to achieve it. Rubber, copper piping or braided? Any modification to the oil pump? 
Any help would be most grateful. 
Thanks in advance.
Tim

Hi Tim,
There was a thread on the old steam driven forum about this and many sent in photos of their installations.

Personally I've used one of John Barlows dinky little units (takes a small Renault Clio cartridge) mounted on the inner wing semi hidden by the dynamo. Derek's installation looks good with the neat pressure gauge line.

The thread up the rear oil gallery is 1/4"BSP, you have to tap past the oil pressure gauge drilling and fit a blank bung bottomed into the end of the thread. The gauge drilling should also be taken out to 1/4"BSP and a straight 1/4" hydraulic fitting put in making sure there's no restriction in it, drill through if necessary. Similarly a 1/4"BSP fitting in the front gallery connection mates to the fitting on the delivery pipe - for the few psi rubber hose is fine and being black tends to be less obtrusive. 100R6 hose and fittings are available from that well known Internet auction site.

Although this installation doesn't filter the oil going to the rear cam bearing or a centre main bearing, the general clean up from the many rotations the oil performs will result in a very clean system.

Dave
I had a special rigged up like this. Long rubber hoses and a mini filter.

When stood the oil would all drain out. Even when I put the filter low down at sump level.

It would take 30seconds cold cranking to get oil pressure. Or 25seconds running.

I assume that was how long it took to fill everything up again. Before the oil got to the important bits......