The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brough Superior
The 'Austin Seven Companion' has a good article on the four cylinder Austin Seven engine 'Brough Superior Four' by G Gordon May 1969 starting on page 14.
It seems the original radiator design shown in the cutaway above was changed to a more open set up with a round tank and water pump following cooling problems.
They were apparently built from 1933 using a standard Seven engines bored to 800cc.  
As shown the other earlier four cylinder Broughs were not fitted with Austin Seven engines.

Wikipedia has an entry broadly agreeing with this -

"George Brough considered the four-cylinder engine ideal for a motorcycle, given its smooth running and potential for greater horsepower than a single or twin-cylinder engine of the same capacity. Brough Superior had already revealed two prototype 4-cylinder machines before 1932, using an air-cooled sidevalve V-4 built in-house (1927), and an air-cooled inline sidevalve 4 developed by Motosacoche (1928).[3] While these prototypes were never built in series, they generated tremendous attention at shows and in the press . In 1930, George Brough considered using an engine already in production, in this case the well-developed Austin 4-cylinder sidevalve, water-cooled motor of 747cc. Brough increased the engine displacement by a 50 cc to 797 cc and added a light alloy 'sports' cylinder head for more horsepower. George Brough claimed a significant increase in the Austin's power output, but, as The Motor Cycle magazine observed, this was a luxury motorcycle intended for use with a sidecar, not a sports machine"
The Austin - engined  Brough-Superior that Simon refers to was purchased by my then Boss Len Southward on one of his frequent trips to England. I do remember it being un-crated in our  staff car-park and witnessed its first trials about the factory.
 This would have been in the late 1970s.
I was given the chance to ride it and found it a bit of a handful with the gear-change under the seat.
My memory is that Len paid 1500 pounds for it which was a lot of money then ( more than 2 years of apprentices wages ).
It is definitely one of the original bikes made and is still in excellent condition.
Worth lots more than 2 years apprentice wages now I fear !
I would very much doubt the £150,000 bike below is even vaguely related to the genuine Brough Superior 4 Cylinder Austin Seven engined bike.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1089545