The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AG hood & frame
I am about to fit the hood & frame onto Chitti. I found (the hard way) that the hood has to go on before the seat back & body aluminium coaming are fitted!
I have found a small "lift a dot" on the inside of the hoodframe (just visible in the hood underside picture, and obvious in the external one. The rear hood frame rest also had a 3/16" hole that takes a lift a dot. Can anyone tell me if the these fasteners are supposed to take a strap to hold the frame down when folded? If so does anyone make them, or is it a DIY job? What should it look like? Are there any other straps to restrain the folded hood & frame?
To my delight the latches on the hood peak work fine after being freed off.
I think I have to first pin down the hood internal canvas straps to the cockpit wood frame , then fit & pin the rear seat back and then put the aluminium finisher in place over them both. The hood has "push button"  female fasteners and so I then have to line them up before screwing the mating base onto the pristine paint! Before anyone asks, many of the old fasteners were missing / misaligned, so I hope there is enough wood in the places I need!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

David I would say the LAD in the hood frame is to hold the top forward edge of the rear sidecurtain. The other LAD in the hood rest is almost certainly for a retaining strap.  cheers  Russell
Thanks Russell. That makes sense! My '27 AD has a little leather strap & buckle, with a single eyelet to hold the frame together.12" long x 1/2" wide with the eyelet at 9" from the buckle. I only have one so have to make up another for it. I can use the length of that strap as a reference for the LAD receptacles (?)! Does the retaining strap rivet to the hood frame or just hang on the LAD? Easily lost!
Now to look at the sidescreens that came with the car, they need a good clean, but are relatively unworn & undamaged & look very original to me!
The one on the hood rest is in the correct position to hold a hood bag steady.
Both those lift-the-dots are for the hood bag. The hood itself should be strapped down with a leather strap around the folded hood-irons, the hood bag is then fed from the back and the inner and outer parts of the front of the bag are held by the fasteners.
Thank you so much
Almost clear!
Does anyone have a template / make hood bags with fasteners??
Do you guys keep the straps with everything else under the front seat! ?
I will go look at the AD & see where it's strap is fitted!
You can just see the leather straps in this photo of my newly restored AG tourer taken way back when in the days that I had a full head of hair..... My hood frame doesn't have any evidence of a lift-a-dot fastener on the hood frame, but there is a hole on the hood frame rest bracket that could take such an item. The straps live in the glove box when the hood is up.

[Image: 33784570638_b33fcb1bc2_z.jpg]

The straps aren't a luxury item as you can see from the near inside out hood frame in this photo taken when Vince Leek delivered me the 1931 Tourer as a restoration project in the mid 1970's.

[Image: 46937907264_aaa3de900a_z.jpg]
Thanks for that information!
I think there may also be another LAD on front of the door for a strap on the sidescreen.
My car was also held together with string!
David

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

My AE has a gurt lump of rubber mounted on the outside of the pressed hood support bracket that sits on the back of the body (an identical pressing to that shown in the photos above). The hole is used for the fixing. No lift the dot
When I made the hood bag on mine I did the straps like this, they need trimming or getting some shorter ones from eBay.  There is a leather patch which the strap threads through, I believe this looks like the picture in the A7 handbook.