The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Home garage compressor.
Or if you have a bit of spare money:-
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-x...reviewsBox
Hi Jamie

I am intrigued that you do "brazing using compressed air". Persons used to braze on acoke bed stirred along with air from a vacuum cleaner or suchlike but what do you do please?
Hi all,
One thing to take into account with Abrasive blasting more so with using suction is wear in the nozzles,
Going from 2mm to 3mm will double the volume at 90 PSI from approx. 8 CFM to 16 CFM,
This is why very important to renew nozzles regularly as you will soon exceed the capacity of the compressor.
going for a bigger size nozzle does not work it will only slow the velocity of the abrasive medium being used and will not be as Effective.
To put this in perspective When I was running a 200CFM compressor the max nozzle was 8mm at 90 PSI

Colin
NZ
Although a Lot of Machine Mart stuff is poor (don't touch their machine tools or very cheap welders) I too bought a small compressor from them, put it in the roof of the garage thirty years ago and its still functioning - though its use has been light. In the past I've also used lots of their 2 and 3 h.p. single-phase motors on lathe conversions; again, no problems, but only ever used for occasional work, not 12-hour shifts on bonus turning billets of stainless steel.
(06-04-2019, 09:08 AM)Bob Culver Wrote: Hi Jamie

I am intrigued that you do "brazing using compressed air". Persons used to braze on acoke bed stirred along with air from a vacuum cleaner or suchlike but what do you do please?

Bob,

I have just finished building a large copper sculpture of a dragon. I needed a lot of heat for the brazing, without resorting to the use of oxygen. I built myself a blowtorch from an adapted oxy-acetylene torch and ran it on propane and compressed air direct from the compressor. I made a couple of different sizes, both of which worked well. Flashback arrestors were fitted to both hoses.

Now that the dragon is completed, I can actually get on with my Austin Seven build, the engine being the first main thing to be touched.

Regards,

Jamie.
food for thought Colin, I'll measure my nozzle diameter in the morning. The system of twin compressors is complete, just need to check for air leaks.  thanks Russell
My 32cfm compressor is a single phase tandem. Fitted with 2 3hp motors.
Squeak, if you still struggle with the suction gun get a cheap pressure pot off eBay, the performance is night and day better. There is also a chap that sells tungsten tips that fit into a plumbing compression fitting and last ages.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Gallon-40L...SwLdBaCURA

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TUNGSTEN-CARB...XQq8BQ5yPX
I have been to the workshop and the ceramic nozzle is lableld 6mm but measures to 6.5mm so not too worn but perhaps too big for my 3hp compressor with its 150 L tank.
Running with the 2 compressors in tandem they should have a combined 6hp and 250 L tank capacity. I suspect the 6.5mm nozzle will still be too large for high velocity garnet flow. 
The web site suggested does have an interesting table of pressure, HP, and nozzle size.  I will experiment and report back, probably in a week due to workload . Thanks for your input,  Russell
Hi Russell,
This Chart will make it easy to figure out what is required
Just a couple of things for best results
                        PSI needs to be between 90 and 100
                        Also allow 30% more capacity than the nozzle requires to allow for wear

Colin
NZ