The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Home garage compressor.
Bought mine from Machine Mart over 30 years ago, still doing the business. Single cylinder belt drive off a 2HP motor, 1.5 kw and a 60 litre tank. It has wheels at one end and a handle at the other. And it plugs into any 13 amp socket.
It's good for paint spraying and adequate for small blasting jobs. Try to do bigger blasting jobs and it's forever running out of air, and it starts to get HOT. Even after 30 years you know it's hot because of the smell of hot paint from the cylinder cooling fins! But it only smells with a lot of grit blasting.
Quite apart from spray painting, compressors are very useful. Now very affordable. Apart from the air consumption the mess precludes sand blasting for many.  The ability to clean things by blowing is very convenient although the dirt goes somewhere. I found it made a huge difference working on lawnmower engines.  Can also get needle scale removers which wil run briefly on a medium compressor. 
Esp for buildings with old rubber wiring care necessary not to load heavily. For sustained use can sometimes run a heavy lead from an electric stove outlet or other well provided outlet.
I use a compressor with 32cfm for blasting in a blasting cabinet. It's well able to keep up
B........er. Turns out to be 3 phase!!!!!!
Depending on the rating/hp it may be an option to re-motor with a single phase. Certainly worth it if the compressor is in good order and a reputable make.
Thanks for that. I am told it's big and heavy. What am I looking for in that regard?
Peter.
Perhaps you can find the rating plate on the 3 phase motor? If the compressor is anything over 14cfm then it will be too large for a single phase motor.
Thank you. A previous reply here said that FAD was two thirds of cfm and that anything less than 12 cfm fad would be no good for sandblasting. So am I right in thinking that if I want to sandblast then I will need a 3 phase motor??? Confused?
I'm not totally sure about the cfm to fad difference so I expect someone with more knowledge might be able to explain (or worth a google). The largest single phase motor (240v) will be rated at about 3hp which is what you should be looking for if using a suction type blast cabinet. This may still run out of puff for continuous use, but with a suitable size air receiver will be OK as like most small air tools the air demand is intermittent.
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/airmaste...ir-compre/
I run a twin cylinder 3 hp single phase compressor, with a large 150 L tank.
In a sandblasting cabinet using a suction gun the performance is pathetic, and the compressor can't keep up.
I am in the process of plumbing in a SECOND compressor running  in tandem to a Y fitting at the blasting cabinet. I will make sure it plugs in to an electric outlet that is on another circuit.   cheers (will be appropriate if it works)  Russell