The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
So Much Chrome
Have just polished the chrome on the Ruby - surprised to find there are over thirty separate items on the outside, and twenty on the inside.

Colin
Polish?
(31-03-2019, 05:33 PM)Chris KC Wrote: Polish?

The work of the devil!
Yes, it brightened it up a bit - pity about the pitting, it must have looked great when new...

Colin
On my Pearl, everything is Repro apart from the headlights, rear window surround and windscreen surround which were re-chromed and finished off with pair of Willies bumpers
Now Nigel, do we detect the makings of an ooh matron joke in there?
Colin - all the Austin Motor Co literature I've read, both old and modern, says clearly to Not put polish on chrome, just wash with water. Explanation not given. Perhaps this is now wrong? Cheers, Bill in Oz
With quite a lot of the plating on Mazac (white metal or as it was often called sh*t metal) there is little you can do to stop the pitting.
I have seen that somewhere - about washing only, but eighty years on and it was looking a bit dull.  This wasn't a serious exercise - there is more pitting than chrome on the Mazac handles and sidelights, the front bumpers are only roughly silver painted, and the headlights show mottled through to the copper.  As with valuable old coins, it can be a serious crime, punished in the pocket, to remove the patina - and with it the history, but with my car it is neither here nor there as it doesn't make much difference.  (Don't know what I'm going to do with all this silver polish, though - only used every other year on a pocket watch - this tin will last for decades.)

The original chrome certainly seemed to last, being let down only by the Mazac and the steel of the bumpers over a long time.     

Colin

PS If I were really into chrome I would have a 50s Cadillac and a much larger garage.

PPS This was meant as another April 1st wind-up, but no-one seems particularly bothered - apart from the first couple of comments, which looked promising...